Fuel Tank Installation

'84Offshore

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a new fuel tank.

When installing the rubber strips, what is used to hold them in place?
Is silicone a good adhesive?
Should they be installed on the supports on the hull first and then the tank just placed on top of them?

Thanks, any tips would be appreciated.

gw204

Reaction score
When I had the tanks out of my old Sailfish, I used 4200 to attach the strips to the bottom of the tank. Ran a bead, set the strips in place and then rolled over them w/ a piece of aluminum tube to squeeze out all the air.

gw204

Reaction score
Yep. Strips on the tank. No sealant/adhesive between the strips and the subfloor.

As for positioning, I think I just put them back where they were originally. That was a few years ago, so I don't remember exactly. Sorry.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
I am installing a new tank.

Think it would be OK to install in the boat first and then just have the tank sit on the strips?

gw204

Reaction score
I wouldn't. If you get any movement of the tank the pads will wear against the epoxy coating you're going to be putting on that nice new tank (right? :) ). If you bond them to the tank, there will be no movement between the pads and the tank, and no way for moisture to get in between them.

gw204

Reaction score
I was gonna say either coal tar or Interprotect.

My tanks are going to get Interprotect mostly because I already have some....if it doesn't got bad by the time I get around to using it. :cry:

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Thanks, I assume I will only need a quart.......do they sell quarts?

Also, I will adhere the strips to the tank before coating..........right?

delldoown

Reaction score
Fuel pump will be designed to run out of fuel oil tanks, and through the line to the fuel injection. When the pump fails, the engine will not start. Involves the replacement of fuel tank fuel pump from the back of the vehicle and pull the pump out of the tank. Reduce the fuel tank from the vehicle by the unbolting the two slots and socket wrenches with fixed. Place a jack under the outlet box, reduced to half into the wires and hoses.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
delldoown said:
Fuel pump will be designed to run out of fuel oil tanks, and through the line to the fuel injection. When the pump fails, the engine will not start. Involves the replacement of fuel tank fuel pump from the back of the vehicle and pull the pump out of the tank. Reduce the fuel tank from the vehicle by the unbolting the two slots and socket wrenches with fixed. Place a jack under the outlet box, reduced to half into the wires and hoses.

What the He!! is this?

richie rich

Reaction score
Looks like spam...again!

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
This is also good, specifically for marine use.

http://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetai ... repoxy_gal

Is that a 2 part or single part epoxy? No info on catalyst or mixing how to. Looks like the company (Bluewater) specifically sells an anti-corrosive 2 part epoxy called Marine AC 70 and 80 for use on large ships, bilges, tanks etc.