Restoring the fish box lids

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The fish box lids on my 95 Islander were badly deteriorated. The edges were badly cracked and delaminating around the edges. There were some cracks and repairs done on the surface which presented a poor appearance with the mottled color and textures. I started by routing away about 1/2 of the thickness around the lip.
DSC01769.jpg

Next I layered resin and glass cloth and used silica filler to build it up. Then I filled with 407 to smooth the surface. I also built a very large radius fillet using layers of cloth and resin on the underside to strengthen and stiffen the structure to prevent flexing which is what I believe caused the surface problems.
DSC01778.jpg
I also added a piece of plywood underneath the starboard seat to reinforce it as well. I was not able to install plywood on the port side cover because of the divider for the baitwell and fishbox. I wasn't too concerned about the smoothness on the underside and sprayed them with gelcoat that I matched by mixing white base gelcoat with a tiny dab of black, a little more yellow and a little red. I tested it by smearing patches onto a neighboring area of the hull until I was satisfied with the color. ( I have tried the Spectrum colors matched coating in the past and was not pleased at all) I also used some Duratech reducer which produces a fabulous finish with very little sanding or orange peel.
DSC01782.jpg

DSC01781.jpg

Finally, the top sides. Lots of sanding, filling and more sanding with 220 grit to smooth it off.
Some heavy coatings of gel around the edges and a lighter coat on the seat area. Then, masking off the edges to apply a textured splatter coat as suggested by GW204. Sorry you can not see the texture but it is an exact match to the gunwale tops. Pics were taken under the tarp in the rain.
DSC01784.jpg

DSC01796.jpg

DSC01794.jpg

DSC01795.jpg

DSC01797.jpg

Reactions: HankBerlinMD

richie rich

Reaction score
Yup...those came out great........how do the 2 lids feel when you step on them> Can you feel the difference? Excellent work! :goodjob

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
I spoke to Grady White and west marine yesterday as I have the same boat with the same problem. It seems as though the paint chipping is not at all a result of flex of the lids but a result of two very different things per Grady White. first the bottom edge of the Fish box lid is a very light coat of gelcoat causing water to seep into the fiberglass and when you don't shrink wrap your boat that expansion and contraction in the cold weather months causes the paint to flake off the top therefore the reinforcement of the plywood under the lid or lids is not a necessary repair. what is necessary is waterproofing the bottom edge of the perimeter lip which will prevent any further water from entering the fiberglass and secondly of course would be to properly winterizing and shrink wrap your boat. However you did a very nice job. Just a bit overkill with the plywood.

JB

Reaction score
WOW! amazing work!
Would you be interested in repairing mine? I can send you some pictures when I get down to the boat in another month or two.

gw204

Reaction score
cobrapowersys said:
I spoke to Grady White and west marine yesterday as I have the same boat with the same problem. It seems as though the paint chipping is not at all a result of flex of the lids but a result of two very different things per Grady White. first the bottom edge of the Fish box lid is a very light coat of gelcoat causing water to seep into the fiberglass and when you don't shrink wrap your boat that expansion and contraction in the cold weather months causes the paint to flake off the top therefore the reinforcement of the plywood under the lid or lids is not a necessary repair. what is necessary is waterproofing the bottom edge of the perimeter lip which will prevent any further water from entering the fiberglass and secondly of course would be to properly winterizing and shrink wrap your boat. However you did a very nice job. Just a bit overkill with the plywood.

I disagree. IMO...the biggest problem is they just used a crappy process to build them. Spray gelcoat in a mold and then do a proper layup starting with layers of light mat and then progressing to something heavier. Don't be lazy and stuff the corners and edges with that garbage putty.

Glad to see one of my write ups is still helping. :D

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Nice work. I need to learn how to spray.

I did my fish hold hatch and bow pulpit last winter and I'm working on my anchor hatch now. I grind out any cracks at least 1/4" and replace with layup. I had some very big chunks, like 1" deep falling off that I needed to rebuild with chopped matt.

I used the Grady matched Spectrum Gel Coat from Iboats. Its not such a great match but it looks a whole lot better than cracked broken and peeling. I fount that with a little cabosil I could roll and make a decent looking textured finish. I wonder if there is a 2 component urethane that may match better...

These hatches take quite a beating over the years. hopefully they are good for another 20 !

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nice work for sure!

I redid mine a few years back on the transom lids. Came out great.

One point of reference for others is you can purchase your gelcoat from Grady through dealer. Was reasonable priced compared to other suppliers. Match is perfect.

Have stored gelcoat in Mason jars as I have bought several gallons from them and saved last gallon as was not needed. Has been 2 years now and just used some to patch bottom keel where it scraped on trailer and with duratec, it is still good! Hardened up fine and polished out perfectly. Good to have some around for touchups.

I do wish I put some insulation on the underside, but didn't think of it at the time. The lids seem strong enough as they are though.

Fishtales

Reaction score
gw204 said:
cobrapowersys said:

I disagree. IMO...the biggest problem is they just used a crappy process to build them. Spray gelcoat in a mold and then do a proper layup starting with layers of light mat and then progressing to something heavier. Don't be lazy and stuff the corners and edges with that garbage putty.

Glad to see one of my write ups is still helping. :D

I agree. Can't believe that is their process. Top tier, I think not..... The ONLY reason this isn't a problem is most people baby their boats.