1984 20 Overnighter-Another Transom Redo from Outside/Done

fdheld34

Reaction score
Some Pics of my 1984 Grady--redoing transom from outside..again another case of stringers etc being structurally sound..not too exciting but here it is......

Removal of outter skin and rotten wood...pretty easy on this one..the outter skin sorta falled off and the wood was mud in most areas...
I did not have to cut out as much on transom due to good wood around transom lifiting eyes and outer edges..they(lifting eyes) will be removed during fairing process.
100_6516.jpg

100_6521.jpg

sanding in between first layup of 1708 (total of 3 layers of 1708 on backside of inner skin)..yes no long pants when grinding..I paid the price...I did decide to wear a mask though (wife's idea)!!!

sandinginbetween1708.jpg

first piece of 3/4" ab Fir...used 1.5oz mat wet out in conjunction with 3rd 1708 for bonding purposes...was pretty flat and no gaps with first piece of ply...so I did not have to use 2x for clamping cross etc..just clamped on top and drywall screws....worked fine

FirstLayerofFirPly-1.jpg

Onto second ply this weekend..going with 1/2" ab Fir..I built it up quite a bit and I want the outter skin to fit as flush as possible.....will use another 1.5 oz mat in between current installed ply and second ply...then another 1708 in conjunction with outter skin..using poly so I cant snap pics...gotta work somewhat fast
-Fred

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: 20 Overnighter-Another Transom Redo from Outside

I can certainly understand your desire to get her done quickly but this is not a project to underestimate the importance of by taking shortcuts.
Getting ALL the wood out is essential as well as proper clamping.

Those lifting rings will never be as strong as they should be with that butt joint to the rest of the ply, and what exactly is ab fir? where the ends of the ply epoxy coated?

Not trying to be critical here but this site has well documented posts on this very project, take a look at how others have gone about this. Do you really want to have to worry about the integrity of this once it's done?

fdheld34

Reaction score

I appreciate the constructive criticism!!!!! by all means..
here is a link to some others that have been done from the outside...on other well known site..

http://www.classicseacraft.com/forum/sh ... #Post62097

AB Fir is basically marine ply.....here is a link....http://www.capitolcitylumber.com/lumber ... ir-plywood laid up with waterproof glue...free of voids...obtained it a a specialty lumber supply..not HD or Lowes..they just have PINE..yes I had to encapsulate the ply sheets in poly first all sides edges etc etc...where I was working...
I also did not want to remove the lifting rings again due to good wood and no signs of rot...I do not believe it will affect the integrity....hasnt in the past on others.. I did not lay up both sheets of ply at the same time therefore I was able to get a nice even bond with the 2 layer of 1708 and wetted out 1708 and 1.5 oz..for first layer of ply...and did not have to thru bolt all at one time. brace etc..also worked the same for second ply with again using 1.5 oz in between plys..
here are some pics...
My theory and others too..but a big debate...the outter skin and inner skin(laminate is what gives the transom its strength)not the core!!.. think of an igloo cooler...I am sure I am also going to be criticized for using poly and not clamping the hell outta the wood etc..I am accustomed to using poly and works well.

Today I was able to get skin back on using 1708 and 1.5 oz...again flush (used level for sight flush only!!!)
So again on with the pics........next I will bevel and use build up progressive layers of 1708 tape to finish off seam on outter skin..and fair..with putty (cabosil and poly mixure)...
.spray with gelcoat and duratec...to eliminate sanding for 2 days!!!
100_6581.jpg

100_6582.jpg

100_6583.jpg

100_6584.jpg

100_6585.jpg

100_6586.jpg

-Fred

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Did not want to sound overly critical, have seen this done many times. Just never saw anybody make cuts like you did.

fdheld34

Reaction score

No Problem at all..I assure you..!!!
No issue with cuts like this before and many others have done the same...
To each his own and what he/she feels comfortable with and what has been proven in the past to work...
Thanks again..
Fred

fdheld34

Reaction score

Continued this weekend to get a little more done...got bevel grinded, progressive layers of fg tape/biax, also wrapped over transom ... and began first fairing with putty....
here are some pics

More sanding/bevel....
100_6606.jpg

fg tape/biax progressive along seams
100_6603.jpg

putty...first round down..just need to sand!!!
100_6608.jpg

more sanding and fairing next weekend..
-Fred

fdheld34

Reaction score

Well...darned rain in S FL...but we do need it...
Got final fairing almost done...next step..Clean up Good!!! & then.....
2 coats non waxed gelcoat and one coat waxed gelcoat...sand waxed gelcoat...check all out and then spray final coat waxed gelcoat with 50% duratec...
some pics of almost final fairing......
Finalfair2.jpg

Finalfair3.jpg

Finalfair5.jpg

Finalfair1.jpg

fdheld34

Reaction score

Today I was able to get 2 coats heavy of non waxed gelcoat and one coat heavy waxed gelcoat....next step sand..sand ....check... recheck and then spray/blend gelcoat with duratec...here are some pics..
GelcoatBuildCoat1.jpg

GelcoatBuildCoat4.jpg

GelcoatBuildCoat3.jpg

Fred

fdheld34

Reaction score

Got Gelcoat and duratec sprayed today..I had to use my primer gun....got one run and some blemishes/orangepeel...good enough though..I am tempted to wetsand 1000 and shoot again!!!
Will finish up with scuppers and also drain plug etc...Gotta put swim ladderer back on...and bottom paint..oh and buy some tabs (down the road)
I should have shot whole splashwell while I was set up :hmm ..might do that later..
some pics
FinalGelcoat5.jpg

FinalGelcoat1.jpg

SOME blemishes
FinalGelcoat3.jpg

FinalGelcoat4.jpg

richie rich

Reaction score

still looks pretty dam good......once you hang the engine and other stuff, you won't even notice any blems

fdheld34

Reaction score

Thanks for the compliment!....I got the swim ladder on today and bottom paint.. so your right blemishes not as noticeable....
Thanks again!
-Fred

fdheld34

Reaction score
Re: 1984 20 Overnighter-Another Transom Redo from Outside/Do

Done with transom..got 1996 Mercury 175 mounted..now on to rigging...and darned 100 hr service.
Transomdonewithmotor-1.jpg

Transomdonewithmotor-2.jpg

richie rich

Reaction score

looks great.....what did you end up doing with your scuppers and motor well drains? maybe i just cant see them in the pic...

fdheld34

Reaction score

Thaks for the compliment...I appreciate it!!
The motor well drains are there..they are just hard to see in the picture due to the angle. Scuppers I did away with and finally decided to have the drains on sides of hull..hooked up the 1 1/2 hoses to thru hulls on either side...they were easier to install/drill and I was able to get them above the waterline..plus I didn't want to drill any more holes than necessary in the transom..I still have to decide on little fishbox/ice box drain (it used to be basically under the waterline)..I might just let it flow into bilge..and just use a drain plug inside when in use..
Thanks again
-Fred