More Kicker Questions for a 228 (or larger)

GulfSea

Reaction score
Ok, I had my 228 listed for sale but when it came down to selling her....I just couldn't do it. I reeeeally enjoy this boat and didn't realize just how much the family wanted to keep her either. No one spoke up very much till' buyers started getting serious. But the reason was to move up to a twin engine boat, Grady no less! :D

So I'm back to kicker research; I see a few swim platform allowing mounts so that's a non-issue now. My real question is just how much to expect from a 9.9HP-15HP kicker? 2mph, 4mph, 6mph? In reading it appears there's not much performance difference between those HP's? Yamaha goes from 9.9 to 25 but Honda has a 15 so there is an option if there really is a difference. So are you guys able to use them to push 6,000 lbs of boat for slow trolling, etc. in smooth conditions or do they just barely move? I've read reports all over the chart and suspect the ones that say they don't work aren't using high thrust units built for this application.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had both a 9.9 and a 15 HP on the same 24 ft. Grady at different times. I doubt there was any difference in top speed because neither would climb the bow wake and get out of the water. If I remember, I was getting about 5.5 mph regardless of what engine was back there. The 15 probably worked a little less but I do not think that it used any more fuel.

I would strongly recommend getting a 4-stroke though. the 9.9 was a two stroke and I had to carry an extra 6 gallon tank with the fuel/oil mixture. When I got the 4-stroke, we ran the fuel line directly to an extra outlet on the water separator. Made for a much easier way to use it. By the way, if you do not run the kicker a couple times a month, it will not start when you need it. Please don't ask me how I know.

GulfSea

Reaction score
Thanks, that's exactly the information I needed. I'm thinking the T9.9 Yamaha with similar bracket would look nice beside big brother and do what I need.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I had a 2005 228 and placed a Yamaha High Thrust, long shaft, electric start, electric tilt T8 on it's starboard stern.
Starboard side because to offset the battery weight (Port side?) and prop twist which tends to lift the port side up when on plane.

The T8 was great - I'd recommned one in a minute. Only issue was I could only get 5 mph statue speed out of it. On a windy day, that might be only 3 mph.

IMHO - most important is a having a solid, no moving parts, bracket. This is why I had the long shaft.

Of additional consideration - these Yamaha V6 four strokes are SOOO reliable, I frankly don't think you really need a kicker. Just maybe two really good radios, two anchors + a sea anchor...

GulfSea

Reaction score
Thanks HMBJack; I really feel fine going out up to 35-40 miles with a Sea Tow subscription and a Coast Guard station at the pass. Plus I'm electronically and physically locked and loaded should something bad happen. If anything the aux motor would be to just get me back in that range if possible. Plus there are several other fishing methods where it could be used here and save tons of fuel.

This is the bracket I hope will work: http://www.adventuremarine.net/product-catalogue/index.cfm?ProductID=35&do=detail

HMBJack

Reaction score
That bracket looks to be a good choice. No moving parts and strong like bull!

Another item to consider is theft. Kicker engines get robbed all the time so consider this as to your boat storage location.

GulfSea

Reaction score
HMBJack said:
That bracket looks to be a good choice. No moving parts and strong like bull!

Another item to consider is theft. Kicker engines get robbed all the time so consider this as to your boat storage location.

Great point on theft; when I was a kid, we had a couple of 20 hp motors stolen, the 2nd one with a solid lock in place. I'm a soon-to-be retired structures mechanic so it'll probably be "built" in place so it would have to be destroyed to be removed....not that it would stop em'. But it's located in a secure location; the risk would be when traveling occasionally.

We went out the last couple of days and this time I paid attention to "hull speed." Interesting enough I had never noticed it before. But the hull rides at 8 mph before beginning to raise up. So no matter what kicker is there, that's going to be the limit.

cedarholm

Reaction score
I thru-bolted my T8 kicker to a similar solid bracket.

6 tamper-proof bolts plus a Panther lock over the threaded pad handles.

Vic H

Reaction score
I have a Tohatsu 9.8 4-stroke on my Catalina 250 wing keel sailboat. It has the 25" shaft, a large diameter 4 bladed 5.5" pitch prop, an alternator, and electric start. At 92.6 lbs., it is by far the lightest 9.8 4-stroke available. It pushes my 4200 lb. sailboat to it's 6.2 knots hull speed at between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle, burning 1/2 gallon per hour. I think it would make a fine kicker. Just make sure you get the version designed for sailboats and other heavy boats. The same engines are also sold under the Nissan and Mercury brands.