Battery Charger, "Recharge"

dale1

Reaction score
My original chager gave up.

So, I replaced the single charger, with 3 seperate, Marine Battery Tenders.

I also ran a 110v conventional plug to rear of the boat, for ease of pluggin in.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,861
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,861

dale1

Reaction score
Come on guys. 55 views and no attaboys, good job, or that is all wrong comments :wow

Seriously. It was hard as crap to fish the wires through the cross tube. It won't be next time because I pulled a fish cord.

I like this set up better than a single charger. This set up is independently triple redundant. The other charger had failed on one bank and I did not know it. My boat stays at home in the garage. So now I can just plug in a regular cord to the battery separately.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
:uhm What manner of 'tenders'? Some are fine, some will cook your stuff ...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Attaboy, Dale. Good job!

Curmudgeon said:
:uhm What manner of 'tenders'? Some are fine, some will cook your stuff ...

He mentioned they are the Battery Tender brand - good stuff. Just as long as they're not mounted in a bilge with an engine (inboard) you're good. I don't think they're spark arrested, that's why. There is another brand called Battery Minder which adds a desulphation mode - I have a few of those for about 10 years, now. I use them in the garage. But, Battery Tender is a good brand, as well.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I saw this post..its really slick...so slick I ordered the same parts...going to install next week....thanks for sharing!

dale1

Reaction score
thanks guys.

they are mounted on the port side, where the old charger was factory mounted. they are next to the single battery. they are battery tender brand, "the marine version." I've used them on my race car, motorcycles, tractor, etc. for many years with good results. I like the ability to see the status of each battery separately.

dale.

I'm modifying the dash now. Worked on the boat covered in ice today. "COLD" in the south today. I'll do a video soon.

I get a lot of enjoyment from working on/or modifying my toys. Last May, I went coast to coast on a highly tweaked BMW motorcycle in 3 and 1/2 days, by myself. Yes, I'm old. But, I did it for the benefit of the united way. Made the local newspaper 5 times in a week, and 5 thousand dollars of donations came to them.

I'm on a steep learning curve with the grady, but one day I should be able to make some contributions to the site, or those who work on their own stuff.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bringing this to the top cause I'm thinking about the same thing. Dale, why did your run a new 110 outlet to the hull?? Why not use the existing 110v cable from the old charger and install a quad box to plug in the chargers? Is this still working well for you? My battery's are so crammed in there with cables and such, I can't even check the water lever in the cells. I need to re-route some things.