Marlin 300 Passenger seat conversion to Bench

Biscayne208

Reaction score
Hey guys I am considering switching my passenger pompanette chair to the L-Shaped bench seen on some Marlins. Anyone done this? If so where do I buy and how much is it going to set me back?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The Admiral has indicated that she prefers (for now :roll: ) the standard helm seat that came with our Marlin. She thinks that, because the bench sits lower, the view will be compromised. So i'm safe on this for the time being!

I'm sure it's expensive and you will probably not be able to get original from anyone other than your dealer. Maybe a Marine upholstery fabricator could make one? I'll guess $1600.00 and not from any knowledge. I'm just thinking what I think it should cost and doubling it.

Keep us updated, I'd like to know in case she has a change of mind...

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can check with GW or your dealer. It is definitely going to be expensive. Might be better to see if you could get one made locally instead.
If you do, suggest you consider having a storage unit built and installed below. You could add some needed storage draws and also address the height being lower. Tough to see out the windshield for some folks. Not sure why GW doesn't address the height.

Biscayne208

Reaction score
View is huge. But the lower elevation may work for me. I closed on the boat and found out 3 days later we are having twins. Holding 2 babies on that high seat may be an issue! :doh

1998sailfish

Reaction score

Another negative about the companion seat on a Marlin is the restriction it creates on the companion way entrance. One reason why the Express models have become so popular but I love my Marlin 300 !

This is a Grady website image. I do not have a companion seat on my Marlin. Yes, finding used is a "needle in a haystack" hunt.

Twins ? Hmmmmmmm momma in the navigators chair with papoose # 1 and Dad at the helm with papoose # 2 in a back pack ????

Congrats on the new family additions as well as the boat purchase ! :)

Fishtales

Reaction score
I don't agree with the companion seat blocking access to the cabin. If you had dual helm chairs and then switch, you'd agree.
Further more, I can't stand the center helm express cockpit. Just way too much going on up there and the big chair in the middle just takes up too much space. Why that model doesn't have a starboard helm with a nice lounger like Pursuit by now is amazing. People must like cramped helms or having people bump into them and the helm chair all the time. Just sayn....

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello,

I've been thinking of making this change on my '95 Sailfish 272. Did you make any progress on this project, and have any advice to share?

Gary M

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
Further more, I can't stand the center helm express cockpit. Just way too much going on up there and the big chair in the middle just takes up too much space.

That's probably the biggest reason that the 330 Express doesn't appeal to either of us. If we were stick people we'd be okay. But I still like to 'stick my head out the window' to see birds, etc as well as pulling up to docks, etc.

And the helm bench while it looks appealing, my wife would be sitting behind me and lower than me so she'd be useless as an extra set of eyes looking outside in crowded waterways........ too many years in 2-man airplanes I guess.....

Graybeard

Reaction score
Funny....I was looking for a preowned Marlin 30 and only 1 had the companion seat. But when I saw it, I wondered how hard it would be to replace the passenger seat with the companion seat. But none of the local dealers were much help. So I’m following this thread to see if anyone else figures this one out

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can just remove the captain's chair and install the companion chair. As stated earlier, the only issue I would address is the seat height. The companion seat is lower than the helm and is not adjustable. Some people complain that it is hard to see out the front windshield. Some day, I'd like to remove my companion seat and install an 8" drawer box under it and then remount the companion seat to the box. This would give me a large storage drawer as well as address the seat height issue.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks Fishtales,

Do you mean that the companion seat would mount to the same post as the original captain's chair? I just assumed that, since the companion seat is longer, it would need a second support somewhere, to prevent the leverage from damaging the post or the fiberglass where the post is based.

If it's as easy as unscrewing the captain's chair and screwing a companion seat into the same post, then were does one order a companion seat?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I don't believe so. The mount comes off and the seat mounts to the fiberglass (I think). There is a stainless metal bar that mounts to the front edge of the fiberglass and then ties into the front edge of the companion seat bottom. It supports the front as it hangs over the fiberglass.
Mine came installed, but when I was looking at doing it for my 282, that is how I thought I'd have to mount it.

If I get around to it, I was thinking of an 8-10" box that is roughtly the same size of the companion seat. It would sandwich between the seat and the fiberglass. I'm thinking 2 pull out drawers for extra storage. The bottom would mount to the fiberglass like the seat does today (use same mounting holes) and add more if needed. The seat would mount the same way to the top.
The objective would be to raise the seat enough that people sitting there would be able to see out over the bow and I would get a couple of large storage areas.

tx

Fishtales

Reaction score
I shot off an email to GW for them to consider adding the drawers as an option if the companion seat is offered. Who knows, maybe they will consider it on new boats.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks again. If it's easy sometime, I'd benefit greatly from a pic of how the companion seat mounts. You described it well, but it would be good to check my understanding before I decide whether this is something I can take on.

The drawers are a great idea. I'm not too worried about the height myself; it's more that our kids both want to sit in the captain's chair at the same time, and more of a bench-seat setup would be nice.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Boat is covered now and I'm not local. Once I get access, I'll take some pics for you.

tx

Graybeard

Reaction score
Anymore info on getting a companion seat and how much it is? Something tells me it’s cost prohibitive

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can see there is a base under the seat with a storage box. The seat mounts to it and has a SS bar on the front of it for added support. It screws to the base. Would be easy to have a box built and then mount the seat on top of the box to get additional height. Probably would not need to change a thing (just mount the box as the seat is mounted and then the seat to the box. I was thinking (2) drawers that slide out.