Gulfstream cushions

artodea

Reaction score
I had a set of cushions fabricated for the cabin of my Gulfstream by a local canvas guy and they came out great. The Grady OEM suppliers no longer have the patterns for the older models so I was on my own. I had the bunk panel in rough shape and the two auxiliary berth cushions in ratty shape. The lower seat cushion and bunk filler cushion had to be made from scratch.

I had a roll of rosin paper from a flooring project that when taped together filled the space for the two cushions that needed patterns. I traced out the edges and cut it to size. I gave the patterns and the three cushions for recovering to the canvas guy and several month later new cushions were installed. Pics below:

tMYruO1.jpg

906xeIc.jpg

It is tough to get a good picture in such a small space but I'm real pleased with the results. For anyone in the Mass/NH area 125 Canvas in Brentwood NH does great work.

- Art

Cape232

Reaction score
Art,
That looks great!

I have a new to me 2001 232 which I need to undertake soon cushion work on too.
Was it difficult to detach and re-attach the fold down bunk? Did you just unscrew at the hinges?

Did the muse new foam to build the existing cushions too or re use the existing cores?

Don't mean or seem rude, but do you mind PM ing me with an estimate of the cost?

Best Regards

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the blue. Nice color choice.

artodea

Reaction score
Cape232: The fold-down bunk comes off like typical door hinges - just pop the pins out with a hammer and screwdriver. The upholsterer re-installed the hinge in the same place, as well as the hanging straps.

In my case, the foam on the folding bunk and removable lower inserts was re-used but I will say that I should have pushed harder for a matching density in the adjacent sections that got new foam. When sleeping on the bunks you do notice a difference between the two cushions. The fabric is some sort of sunbrella material that is holding up really well. Easy to clean and feels/looks great.

I think the total came in around 800 - we all know that anything to do with our boats can get expensive, but please don't tell the Admiral.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hello Art,

Know of a good upholstery guy locally for helm and passenger seats ? I was quoted 550 at my local shop. That's a little high for me.

Thanks. Thinks Spring!

artodea

Reaction score
Harpoon said:
Hello Art,

Know of a good upholstery guy locally for helm and passenger seats ? I was quoted 550 at my local shop. That's a little high for me.

Thanks. Thinks Spring!
That sounds high - I used a guy in Brentwood NH for my interior (603-642-3110)
You might do better just buying replacement cushions. Aren't the helm/passenger seats made by Pompannette?

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks. I
I'm near Brentwood.