Marlin BEP cluster install

Scott D

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of upgrading the battery switch and circuit breaker panel in my 2004 Grady Marlin for a new panel I'm building containing a BEP twin outboard/3 battery cluster and 6 new breakers.
I currently have 4 group 31 batteries that Grady separates into 2 banks. The port bank is strictly for starting the port engine and the starboard is currently also tasked with the house load.
I plan to dedicate a single battery for each engine (port will also support generator starting) only for starting and use 2 batteries in parallel for the house loads.
This boat is powered with Suzuki DF300's and each will charge a start battery and the house batteries via the VSR that is part of the BEP cluster.
For any other owners out there, the original breakers looked ok but upon close inspection they were corroding and I don't think they would have tripped if required.
This new battery arrangement should be more robust and less risky as opposed to the stock setup. I think it's a great upgrade and addresses a major weakness in this boats electrical system.

Other upgrades this winter will be replacing hoses and some seacocks on the raw water side, underwater lights, under gunnel lights, pump upgrades, panel upgrades etc.

Original panel

7073-albums10116-picture91583.jpg

New panel not complete but a work in process. Switches need to be recessed so the door closes. The latch also needs to be ground down on the inside.

7073-albums10116-picture91649.jpg

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
Scott, pretty trick looking upgrade, I've thought a little about going the 3 bank route in our 282 Sailfish. What are the outside dimensions of the new panel you're fitting into that space? Just wondering if the cutout is essentially the same size as the switch panel in our boat. Thanks!

Bob.

Scott D

Reaction score
Bob if I remember it's about 9.5x 11. It's not a very deep compartment so you need to flush mount the switches and grind down the latch to allow the door to close properly.

I haven't been able to get any more done on the project but will hopefully have it complete in the next couple weeks.

Scott

Scott D

Reaction score
Getting closer to finishing this up this project. I got all the e breakers installed and everything screwed down. The bilge pump circuit breakers are red and are protected with covers since they are always on. I also installed a small led light on top of the panel on the compartment so you could see the breakers with the flip of a switch. I typically get to the boat in the dark so this was always a PIA.

One of the breakers is for main DC power to the boat, one is for the memory wire and I have a couple spares. I'll probably use one of the spares as a breaker for the underwater lights I'm installing soon.

I need to add the labels to finish this off.

7073-albums10116-picture91820.jpg