Trim around bunk entrance

Accuratepete

Reaction score
Have a 282 sailfish 2002 and want to know where I can get the u shaped plastic trim that goes around bunk entrance and cabin door all help would be great

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The entrance to my mid-berth has cracks in the trim. been keeping my eye out for something to replace it. I found this... Only thing is that I can't remember what the width of the wall is and we're getting too much snow to check.

Here's the link.
http://tacomarine.com/product/V30-1316/1-2-Opening-x-5-8-Flex-Trim

If it doesn't stay on with friction, a couple of well placed flat head screws should do the job.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm sure your dealer can get it for you. But in regards to finding it aftermarket... Can one of you post a picture of what you're looking for? Possibly with a ruler in the picture for size perspective?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Dennis, as I said, unfortunately my boat is snowed in.

Here is a pic off the internet. If you look in the upper left corner, there is an example of the issue. Mine is cracked in 3 or 4 places. All at or near the corners.

The material is Starboard that has been milled to wrap the edge of the plywood bulkhead. It must have been heated to allow it to follow the curves then screwed to to plywood. I could easily make a new piece as I have all the tools to do so but the need to heat and bend the starboard creates way too much stress on such a tight radius.

The Taco product or something similar looks promising and I will replace the OEM Starboard with something more suitable.

Attachments

• 097_2.JPG
    097_2.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,599

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I definitely see you what you're talking about there, Jim. Between the tight radius and, likely, the heat/cold contraction rate of starboard... and since it's screwed tight with no room for movement... it's not surprising that it cracked. I would "guess" that Grady made these pieces in-house, which would mean they wouldn't be available aftermarket... not that you would necessarily want to put the same thing back on there.

That's wider than what I had in my mind and my original thought won't work. The trim piece you linked to is certainly a good thought - I've used that stuff many times. My only concern there would be (1) Aesthetics, since it has a rough looking surface and (2) It looks like (judging only from the picture) the bulkhead, for lack of a better term, may be wider than 1/2".

The trim piece you linked to (or others, I'm sure) often still has a tendency to pull away from tight inside radii. However, an adhesive like BoatLife LifeCalk or 3M4200 (I try to stay away from 5200 whenever possible) always seems to do the trick, an avoids using screws. Although sometimes a carefully placed, very small, screw can be OK.

Aesthetics... that's a personal thing. Here's another link to various trim pieces - I didn't look closely to see the sizes, though: https://www.mcmaster.com/#trim-molding/=16c6f79

Accuratepete

Reaction score
That's the trim in that pic except my entrance is smaller but same problem but mine is cracked everywhere. Would have never thought it was starboard. There has to be something out there to replace this

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
FYI
The wall thickness on my Marlin is 3/4". Knowing that, will start the search for something to replace the trim.