Radar shim plate thingy

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hi My Boaterman friends:
Two seasons ago I installed a Garmin 24XHD radome to my hard top. It is mounted in such a fashion where the front of the radome is just forward of the top of the hump on the hard top.

I notice depending on the settings and how the boat is riding in the water that some objects may or may not show up on the scan. I will crank up the gain to get close in stuff to pop up on the plotter.

I have gone back and forth with this and I am contemplating getting a radar wedge with about a 3 degree down angle and putting it under the radome . Have any of my boaterman friends used a wedge or installed one after they used their radar for a season or so and noticed a marked improvement in performance? Am I just wasting money doing this? Since I trailer a bit, I am not keen on a pedestal. Thanks for your help. Remember, Boatermen rule the seas!

seafarer94

Reaction score
I put a shim under my dome and it greatly improved my radar picture. I would recommend it.

Bokat

Reaction score
Bob,

I just removed a radar mount from the Sailfish I just bought as it was too tall and not angled. The radar had 4 studs coming out of the bottom of the antenna that were long enough to mount the front of the radar flush with the hard top and the rear studs were used to raise the rear of the antenna. I haven't had an opportunity to use the radar since I changed the angle but I didn't have to buy a wedge. By the way the studs on my GMR 18 hd are 8mm. Yours should be the same size and you will need 2 extra nuts and washers to raise the rear if you elect to do it this way.

By the way, how do you like the 24? I'm considering upgrading from my 18 to the 24 xhd.

Bo

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Bo,
My head unit is a 4208 so I am running new tech radar on old tech plotter as it were. I don't have anything to compare it too in terms of performance. With that said, I like it. I know all radars have a blind spot the closer you get to the boat. I think I could get better target reception for targets closer . I know the radome needs to pointed down some.

Bokat

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am kind of old tech also with a Garmin 5212. I think I'll get a better definition picture with the 24 vs. the 18.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
The wider the array the better target separation you get, but you knew that. I was hoping to acquire birds with it but you really need an open array for birds . I do think you will notice some features of the XHD that HD might not have,but since I have never run the HD units I am not certain on the specific differences. I like the dual mode of long and short distances at the same time. Anyway, I am going to wedge it and from what I read here and other places it should help a bit in Target acquisition.