Buyer's remorse influenced by the interwebs

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hi Guys:
I am not the one who needs others validation for my boating addiction choices. You know the guys on other forums who do this in threads comparing two boats or brands of motors.

However, I am just days away from picking up my boat. I paid Mid Carolina to hang a 4.2 liter Yammaha F250. I went digital too.

So, I have been reading how happy folks are jumping to the G2s and I wonder if I made a mistake and not consider a G2? Then I have friends who hang 50 or even 100 more HP on their older big Gradys . I never pressed the dealer to hang a 300 on my boat. I just thought they would not violate the HP placard on boat. I kind of regret that a little too as you can now buy the 228 with a 300 and magically it can now hold 10 people where as mine only holds 8 ;-)....Maybe the all composite construction allows for greater capacity?

Anyway, I have been waiting for my boat and reading the web and thinking maybe I made the wrong move on the repower? I suspect it is a good move and I hope for better low end and cruising performance.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The F250 is a great motor. I'd have no regrets. The G2s are nice to and probably a bit cheaper.
You don't want to violate the capacity plate on your boat anyway. You'll get no support from Grady and likely grief from you insurance company if the worse happens.
The newer boats were reinforced for the larger 300/350s when they came out.

Be happy knowing you made a good choice and have fun with your boat!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks. I agree. I am excited and look forward to running the boat soon.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i've been boating for a long time and can't possibly see why you would be disappointed with a 250 on a 22'. also, while hulls change over time, be careful of numbers games. haven't looked at the specs, but check total weight capacity for comparison. and design change may have put 2 more seats where they weren't before. and 10 people on a 22' is a bit overcrowded for me.

now, once you get going with the digital, you'll forget everything else. :mrgreen: and be VERY CAREFUL on the initial run. my switch to digital resulted in a hole shot out of the forklift well. :shock:

good luck, ron

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I suspect once you get it back, and get it in the water, all will be good in your world. You will love the fly by wire F250.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You love the fly by wire, but as was mentioned, be very careful on your initial push of the throttle! Everyone seated or you'll have a mess. Fly by wire is very responsive.

As far as the G2 goes, I've looked at that as well considering I work at a Evinrude dealer. Lighter weight and more low end torque come to mind. I'm looking at where I do the most boating and see that Yamaha is the prevalent motor, meaning easy to get serviced if needed.

Over HP above your capacity tag would give a ton of issues in the event of an accident and a good lawyer would have a field day with the fact you were operating a vessel outside of its intended HP rating.

My remorse is not buying your takeoff F250!! 8)

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
When its time to sell, you'll be glad it has the Yamaha. Right or wrong, that's what Joe-public is looking for.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am going to get her hopefully next week. I plan on splashing the boat on Lake Murray near Columbia,SC. I can do the break in near the dealer so if something is wrong I will be 20 minutes away and not 3.5 hours. I am stoked about it and the digital throttle appears to be the bomb. I will update with a report.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yep - no regrets! I have 2 4.2L F250's on my 330 and I also have an ETEC G1 on my little bay boat (whaler). They are both fine motors, but not having to deal with 2-stroke oil is a blessing on the Yamaha, and it has a ridiculous amount of torque.

cool change

Reaction score
hi why are you so hung up on all that power ?? unless you go off shore all the time it is not needed. if u stay inshore most of the time a 150 is more than enough.. just my opinion

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Cool Change, is that a typo? 150 on a 228? I could not imagine my boat with a 150? Either way, I don't get to the sea as much as I like, but when I do, I did notice in some situations, like in following seas with my 3 blade prop the boat could use a little more umph to it. I switched to a 4 blade and got a bit more umph . It is a technical term for power (lol).

I have only run the boat for an hour and not above 3800 RPM yet. The 4.2 liter appears to have more mid range umph than the 3.3 . I am happy .

When I do get to the sea I want to go places too. I have had the 228 in the Abacos, the Keys and Dry Tortugas. This summer I am going to Bimini in her. A smaller motor would not be sufficient on that hull to do those adventures I would imagine.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
When I do get to the sea I want to go places too. I have had the 228 in the Abacos, the Keys and Dry Tortugas. This summer I am going to Bimini in her. A smaller motor would not be sufficient on that hull to do those adventures I would imagine.

Great plan! Enjoy the adventure!
I took my boat over to Bimini last year and had a blast with my Son and his buddy.
Excellent tips, pointers and thing you MUST know before making the crossing here:
http://forums.floridasportsman.com/show ... -checklist
and here
http://forums.floridasportsman.com/show ... =chronicle