Transducer fairing Marlin 300

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Does anyone know the dimensions of the flat part of the starboard hull that the transducer fairing block sits in on my 2007 Marlin 300? I'm ordering the B275 Chirp transducer from Raymarine, and the fairing for it is 22" long and approx 7" wide.

I would measure it myself, but the boat is in the 48 degree water and won't be coming out for a couple weeks due to fishing trips.

?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
And I just was under my rig last week painting... Timing is everything! I could have measured.

Although I can't say with 100% certainty, the transducer flats on my Marlin are not 22" long let alone 7" wide. That's just from visual memory. I haven't spoken to anyone yet regarding this but I'm not sure these flats are typically used with fairing blocks. My transducer is a through hull located on the flat and I do lose bottom at certain speeds, boat angle and sea conditions. I'm wondering myself if a fairing block would help me improve return. Something I will look into myself maybe for next season.

I would talk to some installers before ordering such a pricey item. You may end up mounting your transducer in another location or finding a different option. Hope it all works out and keep us informed.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I run the in hull m260 and am happy with it. I also use the RV anti-freeze in the tank. I do not lose bottom unless I reverse to back into the drift.

I have Furuno VX2 gear and the boat had a cable for the speed temp transom mount sensor. The combo works fine, just don't let too many mussels attach. I use GPS and the pitot tube for speed.

My boat is out front right now. If you need it, an old fat guy can measure the flats for you.

Randy

Reactions: mvz123a

jigstrike

Reaction score
I just measured the transducer flat on my 98 marlin. It is about 5"x16". The problem is that it isn't just a flat spot, but it angles off at each end making the usable flat spot only about 4"x8-9"
I have a b744 mounted there, and we couldn't use the faring supplied by Airmar. We had to cut a piece pf plastic the same dimension as the transducer, then adhere the ducer to that block, then install. We used 3m #5200, and it works good.
There is a local guy with a Sailfish that went with the ducer you are going with. He said he had the faring installed in the center of the boat. I think he had it done professionally.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd do a shoot thru ducer all day....

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks, guys! Still in research mode.

Agree with you all so far, I'd do a shoot through also any day... not really keen on holes in my boat, much less holes below the waterline. However I already have a hole there for the current hockey puck I'm running, so that's why I'm curious about the size. From memory it is too small... and I agree the usable space may be even smaller, and I'm not excited about drilling another hole in the boat and/or redoing the hull in an area to accommodate this.

However, I'd love to get the best performance possible, so if it is an option to use the manufacturers recommended fairing, I'd like to.

Stand by.