209 Escape transom cap replacement

sunavera

Reaction score
For all those Grady Owners concerned about the aluminum transom bang cap deterioration - please see the attached picture 1 of my aluminum cap. My 2008 Grady Escape only has 190 hours and the boat was always kept in a high and dry but look at the galvanic corrosion most likely due to the contact of the motor with aluminum bang plate. Tried to seal it but was never happy and the thought of trying to slide the 500 pound Yamaha 200 hp back an inch on the bolts to get the old bang plate off was against my better judgement. I did purchase a PVC bang plate and side covers from Grady that they are now using to replace the aluminum cap (it’s about time). Hired a good shop to remove the engine and bang plate to see what was under the cap – picture 2. You can predict what could happen if the aluminum cap corroded more and water allowed to enter through that crack. The total job cost right around $500 but I now feel much better. See picture 3 of completed job.
Hope this help other Grady and possibly other boat owners who have aluminum bang caps on their transoms.

Attachments

• IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,906
  • Transom with bang cap removed.jpg
    Transom with bang cap removed.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,914
  • new transom bang cap.JPG
    new transom bang cap.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,904

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for sharing. I noticed my aluminum cap starting to get rough due to electrolysis. I'm going to check on getting that done at the end of the season. Good piece of mind to have the seam water tight and new cap pieces installed. Agree on the material change - about time.....

gw204

Reaction score
IMO...since you went as far as pulling the motor you should have had that joint glassed over and gelcoated. That's the best fix.

Ron Semenza

Reaction score
I got replacement caps through my Grady Dealer, Central Valley Marine. These are the same ones Grady White is now using. They are plastic. I had a shop Central Valley Marine recommended do the replacement. Cost was around $175.00 for labor. Everything is sealed, no water intrusion and looks like new. Leland Marine in Santa Clara did the install. Had it done about five years ago.

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
Ron Semenza said:
I got replacement caps through my Grady Dealer, Central Valley Marine. These are the same ones Grady White is now using. They are plastic. I had a shop Central Valley Marine recommended do the replacement. Cost was around $175.00 for labor. Everything is sealed, no water intrusion and looks like new. Leland Marine in Santa Clara did the install. Had it done about five years ago.

Thanks for the info Ron, I'm in Los Gatos and have heard nothing but good reviews about Leland's.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just wondering if Stainless steel would work. I am having the same issue, but I could have an angle made in ss and install myself. Would there be an issue with dissimilar metals, aluminium engine bracket and stainless cap? Cheers, trapper

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Going ahead with ss transom cap (bang plate) next week. Bought a 1/2 ton chain hoist, 1 1/2" ss angle, starboard shims as the angle is about 1/8" thick. Made up my own lifting hook that bolts into the flywheel. Will raise the outboard one more hole (only one left) and take a trial run before I seal every thing back up. Will post photos of the process. Anybody know of any solution to soften old 3M 4200 or sikaflex? Wish me luck! Cheers, trapper

Greyduk

Reaction score
Trapper, Please do post pictures and description. I think everyone could benefit from that. Thanks.

manners98

Reaction score
That's great. It is hard to believe GW dealer only charged $170 for labor I thought it will be at least $2,000 job for removing engines, repairing fiberglass, applying sealer and parts., etc.

Willy-C

Reaction score
That's great. It is hard to believe GW dealer only charged $170 for labor I thought it will be at least $2,000 job for removing engines, repairing fiberglass, applying sealer and parts., etc.

With the right lifting device it’s not hard at all. I used a chain hoist on gantry crane a few years ago, had it hanging within minutes, didn’t need to remove engine, left all the connections hooked up. I resealed with 3M5200 but should’ve glassed it in.