Adventure 208 Bimini tie down

HiggyD

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 208 where the bimini top folds forward. Right now, I'm using a rope to tie down the top. I wrap the rope around the bimini top then tie it to the forward cleat.

I imagine there is another way of doing this... but I don't see how it is done. Can anyone share how they do it?

Thanks!

Dan

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 208 had a pair of snap studs installed on top of the cabin. My bimini cover (boot) had two straps sewn into it. When the top was folded down and the boot was installed, the two straps would snap to the snap studs.

HiggyD

Reaction score
Thanks, that makes sense. I don't currently have a boot. I think I'll add one and add straps to snap it down.

I knew there had to be another way people were securing it.

Dan

seasick

Reaction score
HiggyD said:
Thanks, that makes sense. I don't currently have a boot. I think I'll add one and add straps to snap it down.

I knew there had to be another way people were securing it.

Dan
When rough weather at the dock is forecast I run a line from the starboard rail around the Bimini frame starboard side, across the Bimini frame to the port side, looped around the frame and tied off to the port rail. You can also use the rear Bimini straps to ' tie off the frame to the rail. The down side of both methods is that the line or strap can be a tripping hazard. At sea, I also have the boot that snaps to the deck fitting and I will use that at times also.
Your tieing off to a forward cleat is a good idea

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
Parthery said:
My 208 had a pair of snap studs installed on top of the cabin. My bimini cover (boot) had two straps sewn into it. When the top was folded down and the boot was installed, the two straps would snap to the snap studs.

That's exactly what my 94 208 has.

seasick

Reaction score
CatTwentyTwo said:
Parthery said:

That's exactly what my 94 208 has.

The studs are not exactly snap on. They release with the snap piece facing in one direction and they 'lock' when the snap is facing in the opposite direction. When the straps are attached, to undo you rotate the snap by twisting the strap and lift up. The cool thing about these snaps is that if the Bimini bundle bounces up, the snaps won't disconnect. If you have these types of snaps and studs you will know by looking at the studs. They are not symmetrical and have a larger lip on one side.

seasick

Reaction score
Firenailer said:
I've got those on my '15 and have never figured out how to actually get em to lock down - thanks! :hmm

Twist the strap on the boot cover and then place the snap on the stud. You may need to slip one end on first. Then rotate the snap and strap and the snap will be 'locked' in place. To un-snap, rotate the snap 180 degrees and lift off.

HiggyD

Reaction score
I suppose I'm going to have to go through a dealer to get the bimini boot that has these straps/connectors? Anyone know if I can just buy the straps with the special connectors and get them sewed on by someone?

It was odd, when I got the bimini and enclosure, the entire thing was "custom" according to my dealer. Not cheap!

Thanks!

Dan

Firenailer

Reaction score
seasick said:
Firenailer said:
I've got those on my '15 and have never figured out how to actually get em to lock down - thanks! :hmm

Twist the strap on the boot cover and then place the snap on the stud. You may need to slip one end on first. Then rotate the snap and strap and the snap will be 'locked' in place. To un-snap, rotate the snap 180 degrees and lift off.

Thanks Seasick - for whatever reason I've fought those snaps since I got this one. I've turned em, twisted, em, cursed em out! Next time I'm over there and think about it I'll give it another go

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
I think I have the ones that everyone is talking about or maybe Grady has a newer style. I put the straps on the keepers and twist the keeper 90 degrees.
I'm having a hard time with pictures lately but this is what's on my 94 208.

Attachments

• P7290008.JPG
    P7290008.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,374
  • P7290009.JPG
    P7290009.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 1,373

seasick

Reaction score
CatTwentyTwo said:
I think I have the ones that everyone is talking about or maybe Grady has a newer style. I put the straps on the keepers and twist the keeper 90 degrees.
I'm having a hard time with pictures lately but this is what's on my 94 208.
The OEM ones for my 2001 are different.They do not have any moving parts. That said, I was not able to find similar on the internet. If you are going to do something after-market. your twist lock studs would be my choice