NEW FISHBOX LID ON 330 EXPRESS

chaotic4mahi

Reaction score
I have a 2005 330 Express for the last 4 yrs and for the most part love it. One of my biggest complaints is the fish box. I have a model with a split closure. The worst part is that it does not have a gasket around the perimeter, therefore not only is NOT dry but it is NOT insulated. Bad design by Grady and not smart by me for not catching it before I bought it. Grady told me that a lid is not able to be retro fit.

So has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it?

Thanks for your interest.

Jim

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Interesting question. I've only ever used mine for storage -- I have a big cooler / seat that I use for ice -- so I haven't really focused on it.

The later model years have a smaller fishbox so their lid wouldn't fit. I wouldn't think it would be hard to join the two lid halves together permanently from underneath and then add a rubber gasket to the lip. If you want to go more pro, you could have a glass guy glass the halves together...

HMBJack

Reaction score
Easiest fix for this is to hunt around for a piece of closed cell shipping foam that is say 2" thick and as wide and long as the top of your fish box. You've seen it - it's that white or blue stiff used for shipping appliances or similar large items.

Then you simply cut it to size so it serves as a full sized lid that fits under your split doors. This lid within a lid will, if you cut it right, will seal the top of your fish box very well. For ease of access and use, you could cut it in half so as to only have to remove one of the two sections. Another option is you can attach this foam to the inside lid of your fish box doors. Hope this helps.

chaotic4mahi

Reaction score
Yeah, I have been playing around with that idea. I have the foam and have been looking for a self adhesive gasket material that would run around the perimeter to make more water tight. That is most likely the cheapest route.
Thanks for you suggestion.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've never seen one in person so I had to google for some images. BUT, I saw a 2007 model that looked like it had a single door - and, from the picture, the single door appeared to be of the same overall size as the pictures of a 2005 model I saw. Are you sure a newer one won't fit right in? Other than that, it does appear pretty easy to join them together (epoxy/bolts would be MORE than adequate) and fill the gap with sealant. Adding rubber gasketing shouldn't be hard, either. Check out Mcmaster Carr for that.