re power 1986 gw sailfish

deepwaterdreamer111

Reaction score
hi everyone. thinking of repowering to a 300 g2 on a notched transom 25 sailfish. the reason being is i think there is to much weight in the back with 2007 200 etecs,two batteries and the aux fuel tank when filled or two big guys standing back there.i think i would gain about 450 lbs of bouyancy going to a single.already talked to joe the moderater . just looking for some input or opinions on this or if anyone is running a single on a older 25 grady, thanks Drew ryan

Finest Kind

Reaction score
deepwaterdreamer111 said:
hi everyone. thinking of repowering to a 300 g2 on a notched transom 25 sailfish. the reason being is i think there is to much weight in the back with 2007 200 etecs,two batteries and the aux fuel tank when filled or two big guys standing back there.i think i would gain about 450 lbs of bouyancy going to a single.already talked to joe the moderater . just looking for some input or opinions on this or if anyone is running a single on a older 25 grady, thanks Drew ryan

Atta boy, do the upgrades and keep the older Great Gradys running! :)

IMO, you need to go with twins on that hull. (which is the same hull as my Trophy Pro)
I'm sure you will be under-powered with only 300 HP...I used to have twin 175's and it was barely adequate.

If you want to save some weight, go with twin 200 HP TRAC models (as I did) which do not have the integral power steering and instead use the standard Evinrude mid-section with your existing hydraulic steering. Other than that, they have all the great state of the art features of the Etec G2's like fly by wire electronic controls, the beefed-up lower unit, the automatic i-Trim, the improved torque, exceptional gas milage, etc....

If you want more flotation, a better ride, improved fuel economy and lower planing speeds, have your transom glassed over and install a Herco or Dusky fiberglass flotation bracket.

deepwaterdreamer111

Reaction score
thanks Finest Kind. i was hoping you would chime in after reading your posts.I really like the idea of the full transom and bracket . my transom was already re done . i will be contacting the fiberglass guys to discuss and get their thoughts on this. my etecs have about 600 hours on them and have plenty of life left in them. i think they are well matched for this boat. if i decide to go with the bracket i will keep this post open with pictures and updates for anyone else that might be looking to this. thanks again your insight was very helpful Drew Ryan

GW 255

Reaction score
I have a single 300 g1 on an 86 sailfish Hull and it's a great combination. Boat tops out at 42 mph and cruises at 25 mph doing roughly 2.1 mpg. A single will make a huge difference with the scuppers. I no longer worry about the scuppers staying submerged. I was told the same thing that the boat would behave poorly with a single but that's not the case at all. Remember unless you run separate tanks for each engine the benefit for twins isn't worth the extra costs. Most common issues are usually fuel related.

deepwaterdreamer111

Reaction score
thank you gw255 for the reply. what rpm are you running at cruise? i can live with 25 mph . are you still using both fuel tanks ? thanks to both responders for your replys . they are very helpful Drew Ryan

GW 255

Reaction score
My rpm range is between 3800 and 4100 at cruise depending on what speed I would like to run at.

deepwaterdreamer111

Reaction score
update on this repower. sold the twin 200 etecs and put a down payment on a 2018 300 G2. should be ready for the sea trial some time in April. will post pictures and comments during the repower when they start in march 2018

artodea

Reaction score
You're going to love that combination. Make sure they mount it high as the engine has some set-back built in. I have mine all the way up, but then again, it is on a bracket.

deepwaterdreamer111

Reaction score
yep. my dealer has the same setup . 23 gulphstream with the 300 G2. are you getting the same numbers 4200 rpm 29 mph at 2.5 mpg? gw 25 posted some numbers for a 25 sailfish which is a little less than the 23 is getting. i can diffently live with 3800 to 4100 at 25mph at 2,0 mpg and a 10 year warranty.

deepwaterdreamer111

Reaction score
ok the wait is over. the new motor G2 300 hp Evinrude installation is complete and did a test run today. wot around 5600 to 5700 at 37 mph for 1.4 to 1.5 . at 4500 rpm at 31 mph for 2.4 to 2.5 . boat holds 200 gals and had about 100 onboard with 2 persons onboard. can watch a nice vidio on facebook at Barnicle Bills Marine Supply. im am pretty pleased with these performance numbers and cant wait to pick the boat up this weekend. Drew Ryan