outboard height

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Before I pull the outboard off the 208, I thought it would be interesting to know if anyone in the group with a 208 and running a Yam F 150 or F200 has their outboard mounted at the highest point (bottom hole). I am also packing a Yamaha 8 high thrust (approx 100lbs.) Thought I might raise it up one more hole, if some one has some experience or insight on this. I would have to be prepared to lower it again if ventilation becomes a problem. Anyway having it off for a new bang plate maybe the time to do it. I am running 2nd hole from bottom at present and can raise it the F200 xb (in smooth water) to 4th bar on the trim for best speed and rpm. Cheers, trapper :hmm

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Can I presume that since I have had no responses that no one is running their Yamaha outboards on the 208 on the last hole. So maybe I should leave well enough alone. Cheers, trapper

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
PM a couple of guys and ask where their motors are mounted. I know hotajax is running a 208 although he has a OX 225. Seasick and firenailer are also 208 owners. Or give it a few days to get more views, some guys don't come here as often as others do, may take a few days for them to see your question.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You're probably best to figure it out yourself, given the extra weight. Get up on plane at a pretty good clip and look at the anti-ventilation plate. It should ideally be skimming across the top of the water.

seasick

Reaction score
trapper said:
Before I pull the outboard off the 208, I thought it would be interesting to know if anyone in the group with a 208 and running a Yam F 150 or F200 has their outboard mounted at the highest point (bottom hole). I am also packing a Yamaha 8 high thrust (approx 100lbs.) Thought I might raise it up one more hole, if some one has some experience or insight on this. I would have to be prepared to lower it again if ventilation becomes a problem. Anyway having it off for a new bang plate maybe the time to do it. I am running 2nd hole from bottom at present and can raise it the F200 xb (in smooth water) to 4th bar on the trim for best speed and rpm. Cheers, trapper :hmm
There is a significant weight difference between a 150SX and a F200(6 cyl). In addition the hull year makes a difference. Latter model 208 hulls have added weight in the bow to compensate for typical extra weight of 4 strokes.
That said, Dennis's point of looking at the cav plate is valid to a point. To look someone may have to go aft and peer over the transom. That shifts more weight backwards and can skew your findings especially on a fairly light hull like the 208. Looking at the plate from the dock with no one on board should show the cav plate in the water. There are so many variables ( like fuel load) that will affect motor height.
As to getting the cav plate to skim over the water, one thing you want to avoid is too much air under the plate and that can occur if the engine is mounted too high or of course trimmed up too far.
As to my boat, it is out of state right now and I won't be able to take a look until mid November. I looked for photos but I don't have any that show the mounting holes.
I may have the rigging manual for that hull. I will take a look and see.

seasick

Reaction score
I have a later model model year rigging guide but the spec for motor height should be the same. Motor should be mounted so that the cavitation plate is even with to 1 inch lower than the center hull line. To me that means that the cav plate will sit several inches below the water line for a typical installation.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your input. I have the Yamaha rigging instructions and have already raised it one hole above suggested placement. With the motor on the fourth bar of the trim I can see my cavitation plate ( fairly obvious with the "permatrim" on) riding just below the surface, not really on it while running on plane. It sounds like it could be a situation of try it out and be prepared to move it back if I get ventilation is an issue. Not sure if I have to plug up everything with 4200 just for a test run or not. Maybe bolt it on in the last hole try it out then remove again and use the 4200 sealer. Will report and testing I do. Cheers, trapper

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The nuts on the outside, right? I don't see a reason to have to worry about resealing anything since the bolts will stay put in the transom, assuming you can get the engine off without having to tap the bolts in (lift engine, move trailer). BUT... butyl rubber tape (google it) is a FANTASTIC, immediately-ready "caulk". As good as or better than anything else.

It is true that having someone walk back there will affect the attitude of the boat, but remember that you'll be cruising along at a good speed. The affect won't be anywhere near as much as when at idle. The amount the the boat will change it's attitude will be minimal.

Another "general" rule of thumb is to look at the ant-ventilation plate compared to the keel. In most "normal use" cases, it will be even with the keel to about an inch above it (when the engine isn't on a bracket). But again, that's a very general statement and really only gets you "in the ballpark" when initially setting up an engine.

L.R.

Reaction score
Can't help Ya' with Your set-up exactly...I have a 2005 226 with a F-225.Have the Engine raised all the way up,running a Mercury Enertia Prop. [17"]..Hard Top and Curtains up....44 mph on GPS top end..Was around 39 to 42 with other Props I tried.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input once again. My outboard is the F200 xb (inline 4 cyl.) very close to the same weight of the F150. Like the idea of the rubber tape for a trial run. I am approx. I inch above the keel now with one hole left to lift. I will be renting a hoist for a week to give me time to do a trial run and then see if I can raise it or return to the second hole. I do not believe it will make a huge difference either way but I certainly enjoy the process and curiosity for change is the drive for most of my mods and improvements. Just trying to make my Grady a little bit better with personal upgrades changes. Cheers, trapper :)

seasick

Reaction score
I know its late for a reply but I finally got to the boat. The motor (SX150) is mounted on the middle hole.
Also I noticed that at rest in the water and leaning over the transom, the cav plate is way below the water line which makes sense since that is where the keel lies.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Trapper, I hate to derail your discussion on mounting height but I have a quick question. I have a 205 tournament and am thinking the 4 cyl. F200 is a good fit. I was wondering if you find the power acceptable and what you are finding for WOT speed and best cruise? Also, you have the "XB" model, while I see an "XCA" model and one other I think. What do those letter designations indicate? I have tried to find an explanation on Yamahas website but no luck. Thanks for your insight.

seasick

Reaction score
found this. Van't say if its accurate or not.

XCA - inline 4 Command Link Plus - Digital Throttle and Shift 25"
XB - inline 4 Mechanical
XA - 3.3L V6 Mechanical

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for that seasick, Halfhitch I believe the F200 XB (in line four) to be a great fit for my Adventure 208. I started with a 17p Reliance ss then to get my WOT up a little I switched to 15p Reliance ss prop. WOT 5800 speed 43 mph flat salt water. The specs from Grady say the most efficient cruise is 3800 rpm, I run 4000 rpm. Seems I get best speed for rpm's and decent milage. Approx, 7 gal per hour. Although there seems to be some controversy regarding the similarity in power between the F150 and 200xb, after owning both on the same craft, I believe the F200xb to have better mid range torque and a little more speed at similar rpm's as the F150. I hope that makes sense! Anyway enjoy finding the right fit for your new yacht. I think you are on track with F200 xb. I have over 400 hours with no issues except change out of the ECU under warranty. ENJOY! Cheers trapper,

seasick

Reaction score
If I were to re-power my 208, (2001 year hull), my only choice would be the inline 4 cyl F200. It is a perfect match to the requirements plus just think of all the savings over its lifetime for two fewer spark plugs!

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We have settled on the 4cyl. F200 Yamaha and today we went to the Fort Myers boat show to check things out. We ran into the owner of a dealer with 5 locations and the main store is only about 15 miles from us. He said he has a guy that does nothing but repower sales and a crew for the rigging. Seemed like a nice guy and his rep around here is good so I will probably go with him. I understand that Yamaha has a promotion going on till the end of the month for 3 extra years of warranty so if I can get the deal done next week I'll have 6 yrs. of restful sleep!

I will be getting involved in that mounting height that started this thread so this isn't a total hijack.