Trailer guide poles or side bunks

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
This winter I’m thinking of adding guide pole or side bunks to mr roller trailer.
As I sometimes trailer launch and retrieve by myself it can be a PITA at ramps that don’t have docks running the length of the ramp. The one I use for fall striper has a floating dock 40’ away from the ramp connected by a walkway you can’t climb into from the boat. I don’t power on because climbing over the bow of the Overnighter isn’t as easy as my old bowrider.
Dropping myself down onto a trailer with hopes that the boat doesn’t roll back off....it’s just a matter of time before I get hurt.
So I tie a rope to the front cleat and pull the boat to the trailer.
This works unless a breeze works against me.
I need something to center the boat keeping the stern floating in line with the trailer until I can pull it up far enough that it settles into the rollers.
Will pvc guide poles provide enough restitance to hold the boat straight preventing the wind from pushing it out of alignment or do I need carpeted side bunks?
I’ve been trailering some 30+ years and have pride in my skills and used to think guides were newbies but as I get older I don’t care about that stuff anymore, I’ll take the “training wheels”, :wink: anything to make it easier.
Mike

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I much prefer guide poles to side bunks, and I consider them indispensable. PVC alone is not strong enough, and any kit you buy will have a galvanized pole that clamps to the trailer frame. The PVC slides over that, gives you extra height and visibility, and protects your boat. Start with longer PVC, and see how much pole you have above the gunnel when backed down a steep ramp, and the boat floating. You don't want the top of the PVC catching on the rub rail, and a PVC cap helps prevent this. You can always cut them shorter after a few test launches.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I'm glad I added poles on my triple axle trailer for the Marlin. It will keep it centered if windy conditions make it tough. I used to measure where the fender was with a boathook, no more of that nonsense.

Randy

Rustygaff

Reaction score
No Bail said:
I'm glad I added poles on my triple axle trailer for the Marlin. It will keep it centered if windy conditions make it tough. I used to measure where the fender was with a boathook, no more of that nonsense.

Randy

What particular set of guides do you have that are stout enough for a Marlin? I would like to put a set on my trailer. Centering the boat in the wind/current is a PITA. Thanks

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
After reading through old posts I’m leaning towards 5’ carpeted side bunks as they can take a bump and force a boat straight on the trailer. I’d like to know also which poles have enough backbone to do that.
Lining the boat up by motoring on isn’t hard as you can make adjustment for the wind but once it’s half on the trailer what then? Can’t climb off without breaking my neck.
So, I tie a bow rope, unhook the dock lines and hot foot it to the ramp to pull it to the trailer. Sounds chaotic but it’s not to bad and works well unless as I said a breeze pickup for the sole purpose of making me look stupid to onlookers.
Say ever notice when you get it all perfect your alone at the ramp but the day it all goes wrong there’s 20 people shaking their heads with cell phones out. :roll:
Mike

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Rustygaff said:
No Bail said:

Randy

What particular set of guides do you have that are stout enough for a Marlin? I would like to put a set on my trailer. Centering the boat in the wind/current is a PITA. Thanks

They only hold the boat in position once centered. They are not rigid enough to force a Marlin over if you start to get sideways. I have to be careful, and only commit if bow thruster and twin engines can keep her straight.

The benefit for me is that it is held in place, and so I can jump to the dock, hook up and pull out. I have bottom bunk system.

On my old 26' Striper I had heavy duty 12' guide boards, they were great. I know Pacific Trailer sells heavy duty, with a built in ladder.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
No Bail said:
The benefit for me is that it is held in place, and so I can jump to the dock, hook up and pull out.
I wish I could do that. Very few of the ramps in my state have a saltwater ramp that has a dock near that sweet spot on the ramp where it’s really needed. There’s nowhere to climb too once the boat meets the trailer.
I saw one guy use a step ladder which seems like an accident waiting to happen.
The municipal ramps like the one I use in the fall/winter (Shark River) has a raised gangway from the bulkhead to the floating dock. It has high side railings saving us from ourselves and preventing any thought of using it to climb onto. It’s also fun to keep the boat from drifting into for that inevitable scar.
The only ramps I’ve seen that make sense in our area are on the Delaware River. Private and some municipal ramps have open sided docks that run the length of the ramp and out into the water.
If they all built them like that it’d cut way down on YouTube worthy ramp video.
Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
This isn’t Shark River but will give you an idea of the layout there.
I guarantee the politician that signed off on that never had a boat.

laurelhillLaunch.jpg

This is how it should be done.
folly_river_boat_ramp_1_300x222.jpg

Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Ok got a plan to roll with.
Went out for striper on Tuesday morning. There was another fellow with guide poles on his trailer at the ramp that morning but they looked different from what I’ve seen available.
They were pretty stout. He was still getting settled in the lot when I shoved off and the bass were calling. :wink:
I got out as the sun was coming up, leaving the inlet and heading south I got into fish pretty quick. The bite lasted about the first two hours of sunlight so around 10am not having any action in a while and dinner in the livewell I headed in.
With the boat back on the trailer and ready to go I figured I’d check out that other fellows trailer.
His poles were not wimpy, they were heavy walled 2” pvc pipe you’d find at Home Depot.
Those slid over the mounts which were at least 1 1/2” box tubing. The 90degree wasn’t a crimped bend either, it was 2 straight bars welded. 2 holes drilled through the box which was mounted under the frame rail with an u-bolt securing it.
It was all heavy gauge, galvanized and not going to bend without a huge hit. In short if something happened to cause these to bend I’d think you’d have bigger problems.
I took photos of the mount and the frame decal from the marine trailer dealer.
Wednesday I met with that dealer that sold the trailer and showed him the pics. I asked if he knew where they could be bought.
He confirmed the mounts weren’t store bought but homemade. I said I could fabricate the mounts welding them up but didn’t know what to do about the galvanizing. He gave me a couple of places that would do a hot dip galvanizing for me or the other option is to spray them with cold galvanizing from a can. That he said wasn’t as good as a hot dip but would last a few years before I had any issue.
I’ve fabricated engine stands and the like so I know where to get what I need and what it costs.
I’m basically looking at $50 or less to make a pair of pole guides.
I’m going to get to it right after the New Year. :mrgreen:
Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sounds like a good plan!

FYI, I have the "crimp bend" guide poles on my 24' - personally, I think they're stronger than a 90* corner. Generally speaking, anything with a gradual bend in it is stronger than a sharp corner. The PVC is tubes are the stuff from HD. The prior owner had put these on - don't know off hand how long he had it, but I believe at least 10 years. I've had the boat for 4 or 5 seasons. Have had zero issues with loading/unloading in regards to the guide poles (salt water). I actually like the guide poles better than the bunks because they DO give a bit as you're loading/unloading.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
After really taking a hard look at the trailer it’s going to be guide poles as bunks won’t work with my dual axle setup. No room to bolt up the front mount.
I’ve read where others have said the curved mounts bend.
I have welded up box tubing for other applications,( hitches, engine stands, etc,)similar to what the other fellow did and short of an accident on the freeway it ain’t breaking or bending especially if you add a gusset.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As far as the strength of the curved mounts, I can only comment on my experience with them. I do also work part time in the marine industry (about 30 years, now) and I've seen these used on boats both bigger and smaller than mine - I can't say the last time I've seen an issue with them. I suppose there are some other variables at work here, though, in regards to hearing that the curved ones bend... such as quality of steel (cheapie versions) and how "hot" someone loads.

BUT... yeah, if you're using a thicker gauge steel, that certainly makes a difference. And, ABSOLUTELY, if you're adding gussets/triangulation... makes a HUGE difference.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Add to that it will be a fraction of the price and that I love breaking out my fabricating tools to invent or build something that will serve a need, can’t go wrong. :D
We’ve all seen poor desisions made at ramps, alcohol often plays a role.
Nope not me. I’d like to think that I’ve got the bulk of my heroics and stupid stunts in the past now, I just want enough strength to guide or funnel the boat onto the trailer as I rope it in straight while the wind fights me.

The best story I got about an over aggressive ramp antic was told to me by the owner of of a ramp on the Manasquan River.
He said a guy showed up towing a Donzi with a corvette!
What could be cooler than that,right?
He had a float on trailer with bunks.!when it came time to pull out he only dunked a third of his bunks.
Well he went to power on and it wouldn’t go, add more power still no go so he nailed it!
Well that did it! Launched the boat over the trailer landing squarely on the back of the ‘Vette ! :)
I’d say that surpasses anything any of us has done that we could be embarrassed over. :wink:
Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That sounds like something straight out of a movie! I'm not rejoicing in someone else's misfortune... but I would of liked to see that! Yeah... seen some pretty crazy things over the years. I once saw a guy let his friend bring the boat onto the trailer at night. He left the trailer lights plugged in and the taillights were clearly visible under the water. The "friend", though, was about 6' off to the left. Ran right up onto the ramp.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’ll bet that made an ugly sound. I’ll also bet there was grimacing and apology’s between friends maybe a quick oh, WTF at most.
I guarantee if it was a husband and wife team it would have gone quite different, being 10 times worse.
Generally the husband is the primary driver of the tow vehicle and boat. No one else gets practice at it but are expected to do one or the other at the ramp and are doomed to failure. Criticism and frustration soon come followed tears and doubt of “I’ll ever go out on that damn boat again !
My daughter has learned a little at a time so now she is a tremendous help with driving the boat.
With anyone else I play it safe and just do it all myself. It’s harder, and a bit of s juggling act but it preserves the day as a positive experience.
Mike

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think that if I had to load solo at a ramp similar to the one at the top of the pic, that when I backed my trailer into the water, I would have a line to the front of the trailer, and already between my guide posts, and I would walk the other end to the boat and attach it. That way, you are not trying to maneuver your line around and over pilings, walkways, guide ons, etc, while your boat is drifting. Hot foot it back to the trailer and start pulling. Maybe even figure a breakaway system with a light piece of twine, a piece of copper wire with one turn around the cleat, or something similar, so that you could get the slack out before the boat gets away from the dock. Having owned a roller trailer, I know how pulling lines love to get wrapped around rollers if they get any slack.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
With the first dock example it’s really hard to launch & retrieve without it being a circus act.
The second with a finger dock makes it a piece of cake.
Ropes, wind, rollers all work against you.
The last trip I did I dunked it with the last fender just peeking out of the water.
I pushed it back a little then climbed on like an old cripple and put it in reverse. Wouldn’t you know it wouldn’t budge. The rollers wouldn’t roll. I rocked it and pulsed the throttle and after several attempts it finally went.
That took less than 5 minutes but when people are waiting for the ramp I was taking way too much time.

On return I dunked the trailer shallower with both the fenders poking out of the water. I gently power loaded which I don’t like but everyone else does at this ramp. That went easy enough but when I put it in neutral it promptly rolled off! :roll:
Now why couldn’t it do that when I launched???
I had to leave it in gear to hold position while I tied a line over the trailers bow eye support.
Climbing off the bow was done with all the grace of a three legged elephant.
I’m thinking of bringing a small ladder to hang next to the bow but there’s a good chance that could go bad too. No matter what it’s still all a circus act when you do it by yourself.
One thing for sure the poles will definitely help and are going on this winter.
Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
"Didn't roll off when launching, but did when retrieving"... I know, right! Been there, done that. I "think" what happens is that a little bit of salt crust builds up inside the roller and that little bit, on all the rollers, is just enough. Once it breaks free, good to go. But of course "knowing how it happens" doesn't help you when your boat is sitting there on the ramp, not moving and you've got eyes starting at you. :)

Have you seen pontoon trailers? A lot of them have built in ladders on the front of the trailer. Sure does make it easy! It wouldn't be hard to do. I always have two people to launch/retrieve the Grady, but there were times when I launched my 28' Sea Ray Sundancer that I was alone. I often thought of building a ladder, but I was "just" lucky enough that I could step from the top of the fixed mount jack stand... to the winch... to the top of the winch stand... then over the bow rail. As long as I remembered to start with my right foot, it was a fluid looking motion. Start with my left foot... looked like a 1-day old gazelle stumbling around.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You wouldn’t have a picture of that fixed mounted ladder would you?
I’d like to see that, maybe it’s something I can make.
Mike