OFFSHORE 24 SEATS TOO LOW/ BAD VISABILITY

G

gradydaniele

I OWN AN 88 OFFSHORE 24
I'm 5'10 and don't know if it's just me but does anyone here have issues with bad visibility out the windshield?
it's like the metal brackets for the windshield block the visibility greatly.
like the seats are too low while driving sitting and me standing up its also blocking, i feel like i have to slouch down a bit to have an unobstructed view.
Maybe because i've spent years fishing in a center console but it seems to me that the windshield on this model is just too slanted or something.
Anyone here have this issue and a possible cure?

Dan

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't think there is any difference from '82 to '88? I'm slightly less than 2" taller than you. I seem to have a good view and haven't noticed any problems. It could just be, as you said, you're not used to a normal windshield. Or, maybe a PO cut the seat post down because he was taller. Another factor... could be the way you're trimming the boat.

G

gradydaniele

Dennis, thanks so much for your reply I never thought they could even be a possibility actually I wonder what the normal stock height of the seats are? Does anyone here know what the height of the seat should be?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Mine is 500 miles away right now and comfortable sleeping under a big, white, plastic blanket... :mrgreen:

If you want it higher, you can add a piece of plywood (or as many pieces as you need) as a spacer. If you don't mind spending some money, there are also adjustable height poles that you can install.

G

gradydaniele

Yessir mine is also sleeping under a ton of shrink wrap here in ny.
When you say spacer with plywood, exactly how do you mean?
Do you mean like a dowl of somesort inside between the tube of the base and the pedestal top or do you mean literally bolt plywood to the top of the pedestal and fasten the seat down to the wood?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Depending on what is easiest for you and your seat setup, you can cut a piece of plywood (say 12"x12", give or take) to fit between the bottom of the seat and the slider or the slider and the spider. Basically, just a sheet of plywood as a spacer. Sort of like sitting on a phone book. If the boat is near you, get a zipper door (bigger the better!) and you can get in and out of the boat throughout the winter (open and close the zipper gingerly).

Experiment with different heights - sit on a cushion for example. Whatever height you experiment with by putting things on top of the seat to sit on, add that height under the seat.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Or you can do what we did and replace the posts with 12 inch. It works great for us on the Marlin as we wanted to be higher up for better visibility. See the posts and pictures by Ifish.

nerd

Reaction score
Same problem (mine is a 92). I went through the list of all the different options to correct, then just cheaped/lazied out to the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Bolster-Buddy-Premium-Boat-Cushion/dp/B01KYU443Y/

Worked like a charm. Every offseason I plan a bunch of work to do on the boat, for once I looked at it realistically and figured I wasn't going through all the trouble of replacing the pedestal.