Have 268 islander. Looking from ideas on how to
Mount the under gunnel LEDs.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
small LED accessory lights don't draw much.
You could tap off of existing wires to cockpit lights and you wouldn't have to add a switch.

For simplicity, use Anchor 16/2 or 14/2 marine wire. You need to connect the LEDs in parallel with proper polarity (+ to +, - to-).

Fishtales

Reaction score
I used the strip leds in the past, The leds started burning out and after two seasons I needed to replace. I installed the Lumitec light bars a couple of years ago and they worked out great. I screwed under the gunnel into the wood core (make sure you seal if you do this) and spliced into the existing cockpit lights. This way I could use the same switch to control.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I found places up under there to zip tie them into place.
Easy to install (and remove) and no holes drilled.
Be sure to install an inline fuse (little ones like 2 amp?) or you could burn them out.
Don't ask me how I know! lol

freddy063

Reaction score
I used the strip led lights, attached them with silicon calk. cleaned with acetone put a small bead, done.

mhinch

Reaction score
silicone is the way to go here.

fellinger

Reaction score
I used "rope" lighting from Bluewater LED's. They come backed with 3M adhesive. I cleaned under the gunwales with alcohol and stuck them up. They went up easily and have been there for 2 years without any issues. I tied them into the existing cockpit lights which I changed to LED bulbs.

[

Attachments

• Grady Lights.jpg
    Grady Lights.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 585

Scott D

Reaction score
On my previous boat and now on my Marlin I used the same method. I cut small 1-2” square pieces of 3/4” pressure treated plywood. I painted the blocks although that’s probably not required since they are to be installed under the gunnel. Every 12” or so I used an adhesive to bond them in place. Six-10 epoxy or marine Tex works great. I used Seamaster rgb strip lights that allow for the light color to be changed via your phone. Kids love to play with this. The lights are screwed into the blocks and held in place with the clips that come with them. This method lasted for 10 years on my previous boat and was perfect when I sold it. Very secure method and no holes in the boat.

It is a lot of wire to run around the boat. I ran new wire to a new switch and I mounted the WiFi controller in the mid cabin.

http://seamasterlights.com/rgb-led-light-kit-with-wifi-remote/

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I used silicone and every couple feet I hit it with hot glue to hold it in place while the silicone dried. Tied right into the stock lights. Easy if I every need to swap out and they have been perfect for a couple years.

Ozz043

Reaction score
I used strip led”s with self adhesive tape...no issues...just connected to original lights on steps...easy as

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just finished up my Father and My under the gunnel LED’s on our new to us 2002 Marlin. We used t-toplights.com customizable LED light strips in the aluminum housing in the 40 inch size. Couldn’t have been happier with the outcome. Here’s a copy of the link https://www.t-toplights.com/product-page/2-pack-20-marine-led-light-strip-aluminumView attachment 6873View attachment 6874View attachment 6875

I put some blue led replacement bulbs in the cockpit round lights and tied the lumitec light bars into them. The lumitec have blue and white lights with different degrees of intensity. Looks like yours. Nice job.