Rope in Rub Rail?

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi all,

Anyone ever think of removing the center insert from the vinyl rub-rail, and replacing it with some thick rope? I've seen that look on other boats, and liked it, but have never seen it on a Grady. Is there an unspoken rule that this would go against good Grady manners, or are there other reasons not to try it?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
My '82 has it. I assume it came like that from the factory, but I do not know that for sure. Either way, looks just fine. The only thing I don't like about it is that it gets dirty easily. But my boat isn't going to win any beauty contests, but it is solid as a rock - this one's a worker, not a looker. I've got other boats for the beauty contests.

Fishtales

Reaction score
As Dennis says, I've seen others with the rope insert and believe that was the way it was done in the past. No rules, your boat - do what you want!!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I had rope in the rubrail on my V20. It does get very dirty and green with algae. Only way to clean is power washer. If you're a trailer boat you can deal with it but docked boats will be shabby by mid season.

I had replaced old rope with new rope that I got for free. If I had to spend money, I would have replaced with vinyl.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks everyone. I ask because I have the vinyl insert removed right now for some rub-rail repair, and thought I might replace with rope. I have no trailer, so won't bother with it right now. Maybe sometime I'll give it a shot.