Yamaha FMS and GPS connection

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Does anyone have details on how to hook the Yamaha FMS to a GPS?

I have 2007 F150's with 4 round guages - 2 tachs, 1 speed and 1 fuel management. I want to use GPS speed for the FMS instead of the engine pickup tube.

I looked through the installation manual, user manual and wiring diagrams and couldn't find a thing.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just did it on mine. On the speed fuel gauge there are two loose wires capped with a rubber water proof end, a blue and a white, which are marked + and - . This where you connect your nmea 0183 wires from the gps.

seasick

Reaction score
Of course the GPS must have NEMA output. On most NEMA capable plotters, you also have to configure the NEMA port as well as physically connecting it.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
FMS and GPS

Dug around in the boat documentation. Wire rigging diagrams and manual reference the switches on the back of the guages. No references to GPS in the wiring or switch settings.

I pulled this off www.yamahaoutboardparts.com today:

You would need 6Y5-85721-F0-00 GPS signal lead and connect white wire from signal lead to NMEA 0183 output lead of GPS and change # 5 dipswitch in back of FMS to the up position.

I'm going to try to get in there to see what I have later today.

Whats the best way to get at the back of the guages? From inside the head or pull the helm panel?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
FMS and GPS

I pulled the panel at the helm. There are no loose wires on the FMS. There is a blue wire that connects with other guages. Could not find any part numbers.

The FMS has two connectors - a round one that connects to the adjacent guage and a rectangular one that go to a harness. There are a number of other wires, including the blue one that are wired seperatly.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
GPS / FMS

Got everything I need to tackle the GPS to FMS interface project.

The http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com site and moderator got me the documentation for my older gauge set. This site is a excellent resource for your Yamaha outboard issues.

First step is to get the GPH fuel burn accurate. Then I'll try the GPS interface. Thanks for all the help.

Tunacious D

Reaction score
That web site is part of the Boats.net which is actually Central Florida Yamaha (Lake Placid, FL). They repowered my Grady earlier this year. Got a great deal on the motors, rigging, etc. Top rate bunch and great prices. They pay the sales tax for FL residents too for the internet orders.