Fender SuspendersTaylor Marine Centers - Milford, DE & Ocean City, MD

Selling boat, should I use a broker?

Listings by GreatGrady members of personally owned boats for sale or wanted. No commercial listings allowed unless a sponsor.

Moderators: Seafarer228G, Potterbuilt

Selling boat, should I use a broker?

Postby matt75 » Jun Fri 16, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi,

I'm brand new to the board, been stalking for a couple of years. I'm on my second Grady, and I love their boats but I am thinking of selling my 2014 Fisherman 257. I'm just starting this process and I'm investigating different avenues (selling on my own, craigslist, dealers) and I was hoping I could get some opinions/information from all of you on using a broker, maybe even a recommendation. I bought the boat new in 2016, it's in pristine condition with almost no hours on it, but I don't know if I can find a buyer where I am located in the Chicago area on my own. The dealer had a difficult time selling it, which is how I got a brand new 2014 in 2016, so that won't be a great option.

I will be posting it on the site next week after I've had a chance to take some pics.

Anyway, I appreciate any feedback, and I appreciate all the input on this forum it's been extremely helpful.
matt75

Re: Selling boat, should I use a broker?

Postby MA208 » Jun Fri 16, 2017 8:20 pm

I'd say it depends on your local market. I have no idea about the midwest. You will be dealing with a high dollar sale though, so you'll have to be comfortable moving large sums of money around. It will also require a lot of time on your end talking to buyers, sea trialing, getting a survey, possibly having buyers financing fall through. Time is money. Depends on your priorities. If you price it right though it will sell quickly.
MA208

Postby drbatts » Jun Fri 16, 2017 9:20 pm

I just sold my Grady and used Bob at anglers edge marine. He will list the boat online, then I handled all of the calls, showings etc. It was kind of a PIA to some degree having to deal with tire kickers. At the same time I liked talking about my boat and knew it well, so it wasn't that bad. He also walked me through the process of dealing with the banks both mine and the buyers and provided the sale documents etc. For me it wasn't worth paying a broker 10% of the sale price.

While I have been shopping for my next boat, I have talked to many brokers selling boats. A good number of them put little to no effort into actually trying to sell the boat, nor knew anything about what they were actually selling. I also find it amazing that a broker selling a 100K+ boat only puts 3-4 fuzzy pictures online, for the size of the commission I would think they would put a little more effort in. If you find a good broker they may well be worth their commission. That being said in my experience I have not run into a lot of them. If you do end up using a broker, I would probably choose a Grady dealer or someone who sells a lot of Gradys.
265 Express F225s
drbatts

Postby rpc » Jun Mon 19, 2017 11:26 am

I would be careful with choosing a broker. I had used one and he didn't put much effort in selling the boat. I was very busy to sell it on my own at the time and relied on him to do all the leg work. In the end I took back my boat and to my dismay the boat was in terrible condition dirty and some missing items. I know it was my bad for not paying more attention, but a broker should at least keep me informed of the boats status. I did sell the boat on my own. The last broker I dealt with used a contract that was so outrageous that I didn't purchase the boat...even after significant discussions about my issues I had with his contract. I've been boating for 30 years I sold 3 boats without a broker. My opinion is if you have the time sell it on your own or do lots of research on the broker you intend on using. Good luck!!!
rpc

Postby matt75 » Jun Tue 20, 2017 3:36 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to get more info and pics on the forum, and I'll be reaching out to a few of the larger Grady dealers as well. The nice thing is I'm not in a pressured situation to sell.

Also it is in the water and if anyone interested wants to take her out that would be great with me, more time on the water.
matt75

Postby Grady_Crazy » Jun Tue 20, 2017 12:01 pm

I have sold a couple of Grady through a broker and have sold them myself also. If you have a good broker, an independent broker, not someone that works at a dealership, I feel they would have a better job of selling your boat. Most dealers want to sell their boats not yours. I was told this by a sales rep working for a dealer. I don't know where you are located but I use Clay Livingston at Carolinaboatbrokerage.com. He sold one 208 that went to Australia and it was the easiest transaction ever and he sold a 228 also that went to the NE. It all depends on the broker, just like every other profession.
2000 GW 225 Tournament / 225 OX66
Grady_Crazy
GreatGrady Captain

Return to For Sale/Wanted