Bahamas Trip

OutKast

Reaction score
Has anyone done a Bahamas trip with the Grady dealer out of West Palm?

If so, please give me your comments.

Thanks

Lucky Stars

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No but I have been to Bimini twice with group from Central Fl. We are going again June 12th-17th
Willy

WaterShark

Reaction score
Bahamas Trip Question

I would like to make a trip to the West End this summer with my family. I would take all the necessary gear on board; life raft, hand held VHF and GPS, EPIRB, etc. I would plan to run out of St Lucie Inlet or close by. I understand that everything is weather dependent but I have an 8,6, and 3 year old. Is it safe or should I have them fly and meet me? Thanks in advance for your comments.

2000 232 Gulfstream
T 150 Yamahas

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have done a number of crossings with Mariner Marine, the Grady dealer for WPB. They have all been great. Mariner Marine used to organize the crossings themselves. Now we have our own Grady membership group in which Mariner Marine is very active. Check out our website at www.gulfstreamgradygroup.com.

You'll see we have three Bahamas crossings planned and the first one is to West End in late June. There is no better way to cross, in my opinion.

The trips are for members, but I suspect that we'd let you join!

I also saw your post about taking young children on the crossing. I would not, but not so much as a life-safety issue, but more for the possibility of bouncing around. Certainly children are on every crossing, but not as young as your youngest. I'd say that 8-10 year olds are not uncommon.

We usually have 15 - 20 boats on a crossing and no one gets left in an unsafe situation. However, we have run into bumpy seas so we slow down and make our way through. But, even in a Grady, you might get jostled around pretty good.

Lee Potter is an active Board member of the club as well as a moderator of this site, so he may have more to add.

Anyway, check us out and feel free to ask any questions.

Rob

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
wahoo and Watershark..
This sounds like a good way to cross. When I have the time in the future to attempt it, this is the way I would like to do it.
Obviously, there's safety in numbers... if one has a breakdown of any kind, it's worth diamonds and gold to have help on hand as opposed to being alone and adrift 40+ miles offshore.
Plus, a not-to-be-overlooked benefit would be to cruise with knowledgable people when island-hopping. Guys who have been there know the deep water routes, the best waterside restaurants, and are aware of the best beaches and anchorages.

I'm jealous....

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Free for all!

Hey Guys, one of my friends who normally fishes out of the Jacksonville area, told me recently that during good weather weekends a lot of different boats will start gathering up at the Jupiter Inlet around noon on Fridays. After a good group has gathered they will make a mass 60 mile free for all crossing to the West End. My friend says that he and his brother have crossed with this group of "Run what you Brung" folks several times. Can any of you South FL guys speak on this? 8)

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I've not heard of that with such certainty - but that certainly doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Before we had a Grady group, we would sometimes do a radio check and encounter someone else heading over. But most folks I know want to get an early start. Seas are generally calmer in early mornings and we want to give a wide margin to avoid the regular summer afternoon thunderstorms.

If you really want to get plugged into the potential for hooking up with other boaters, I'd suggest paying attention the the Florida Sportsman Magazine forums.

Rob

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Roger That!

Wahoo, I definitely agree with you on the early departure! Those afternoon thunderstorms are the first thing that entered my mind. A check with my buddy today indicated that they actually gathered a little earlier and departed en masse around 11:00 am. I think I would prefer to strike out at daybreak. 8)

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Re: Roger That!

JUMPNJACK said:
Wahoo, I definitely agree with you on the early departure! Those afternoon thunderstorms are the first thing that entered my mind. A check with my buddy today indicated that they actually gathered a little earlier and departed en masse around 11:00 am. I think I would prefer to strike out at daybreak. 8)

Yeah I agree I wouldn't want to start out that late for a crossing either. Be sure to get a good Bahamas cruising guide, they are loaded with info and can save you alot of hassle regarding customs etc.

Gradyfly

Reaction score
Don't worry...Be Happy ( and safe ! )

Guys ( and gals ) -

The trip over ( from Port Everglades aka Ft. Lauderdale )
is 53 nautical miles from port to port ( ending at Alice Town )

It's a breeze as long as the gulf stream doesnt get angry -
If you see a pacyderm out there, I'd suggest
calling it off, but weatherunderground.com the week before
will tell all -

I've gone over in a Twin Vee Awesome 22 and it made it in 2-4's
in three hours. As long as your with someone within radio distance,
drop the fear and pick up some beer -

Good luck and keep me posted

GradyFly 8)

ahill

Reaction score
Leave early, return early. The summer TS's will make you a believer if you get one boiling off the coast at 20 mph with 60 mph winds + lightning. 80 mph leading edge and lightning running horizontal just looking for something to hit.

old salt

Reaction score
New Grady Owners this year

Have made 2 trips with the Gulfstream group - Old Bahama Bay June - Green Turtle August

They offered 3 Bahamas related trips this year.

First class people. Very helpful to newcomers, and experienced captains to aid with all types of fishing/boating/engine
related issues.

check out /www.gulfstreamgradygroup.com and join. We are very happy we made that decision.