New to me 85' 24' Offshore (Project)

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Started doing some glass work today. Pretty happy how it turned out considering it was my first time. Still have plenty of old holes to fill but these were the biggest ones. I guess the previous owner was more into music than fishing. Also tried my new Blue Point sander today and started sanding the transom and half of the port side. Making progress.

f1479d4fa2bd553ef521486477beb58e_zps39a5d473.jpg

49e1f7880a257e81d4e7862adc7314a5_zps1a9b92d0.jpg

5393643a0a78d2f9847e3c8212119928_zpsa3e641aa.jpg

566831176e0b121aa97ac6662068f595_zpsd1575993.jpg

jbrinch88

Reaction score
So question, would I be better off putting my fuel tank in the front or rear compartment? I'm planning on putting in a 20-30 gallon holding tank and it would make more sense to have that in the front compartment since it will be closer to the head. Although I have plans of putting on a 250hp 2 stroke outboard, so would having the fuel tank in the front compartment be a better setup to help counter the weight? I'm not too familiar with how this boat sits in the water and how low the scuppers are.

shauncooper

Reaction score
I have the larger 90-100gallon tank in the front compartment and a second 40gallon tank in the second compartment. Also in second compartment is 10gallon fresh water. It used to also house my 2-stroke oil tanks as well but I have moved those to the splashwell and plan on relocating some batteries into that space.

I think the factory is for main tank to be in forward compartment. My boat is pretty nice and level with full tanks and two 150hp 2-strokes on the back.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
well my plan is to build two shelves in the rear tank sump for my batteries and glass them in. Also I'm going to make my electrical panel on the rear wall of the rear tank sump. Mount my switches/charging relay, and main fuses etc. Plan is to cut a hatch out of the rear tank cover, glass it all and make it look finished, put some hinges on it and make it accessible to all the items mentioned above.

Still not sure on a color yet. So far I'm deciding on matching the original gel coat color and keep it the classic Grady White look, or a very light blue either ice blue or light blue awlgrip color. Been trying to find older Grady's with new paint jobs, but have had no luck.

hoping to get a lot of glasswork done this weekend if the weather holds.

shauncooper

Reaction score
Sump/electrics idea sounds interesting, would like to see some pictures as it comes together. That may be something I would like to do as well (but probably at the end of the season, I want to really make sure the re-fitting of batteries, etc to sump area works for me.

Keep the updates coming.

lime4x4

Reaction score
Looking good. I have a 86 offshore with twin 150 yamaha 2 strokes. mine has the full transom thou. Spent the winter having the engine bracket line-xed along with replacing all the wiring and had new switch panel made up. Getting ready to install a soft hard top on the boat in the next week or 2. Mine has the a sinlge 95 gallon fuel tank located in the forward compartment. Gonna install a fresh water tank and move both engine oil tanks to the rear deck compartment

jbrinch88

Reaction score
nice sounds good. i'm having a hard time getting some free time to work on this thing, which i knew was going to happen. still trying to find a buyer for my 22' i'm finishing up.

not a bad thing though, gives me more time to plan everything out. i got all the holes in the dash filled:

73bacc820176630e887bce85d6fc4775_zpsd0ccd644.jpg

b78f00fc89f3a99d3e096637cc2547ae_zpsbbf7b625.jpg

starting to get the hang of working with fiberglass. Hoping to get all the glasswork done in the bilge/cockpit/and hull, then decide on a color. I really like the ice blue color, still undecided between that or an off white color like oyster white to match the original color. Both colors will look good with the original Grady decals i think.

shauncooper

Reaction score
Got the batteries relocated to the under deck area and got charger mounted in, had to shuffle around the fresh water tank, but all ended up fitting nice and snug. Should give you at least a couple of ideas for your battery/electrics idea.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    827.9 KB · Views: 4,507

lime4x4

Reaction score
What are u doing about ventaltion for the batterries? I was thinking of moving mine to the aft compartment as well to take some weight off the stern. The only thing that sucks about having there is you gotta unseal and lift up on the deck if u need to gain access to the baterries.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
lime4x4 said:
What are u doing about ventaltion for the batterries? I was thinking of moving mine to the aft compartment as well to take some weight off the stern. The only thing that sucks about having there is you gotta unseal and lift up on the deck if u need to gain access to the baterries.

I plan on cutting a hatch out of the rear tank panel, glassing the edges/lips etc and putting in flush mount hinges. Not too concerned with bettery ventilation, its not going to be an air tight seal.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
shauncooper said:
Got the batteries relocated to the under deck area and got charger mounted in, had to shuffle around the fresh water tank, but all ended up fitting nice and snug. Should give you at least a couple of ideas for your battery/electrics idea.

looks good, definitely gives me an image of what it will look like. I don't plan on running freshwater or an aux tank, just a holding tank but a small one. So i should have plenty of room for all my rigging/batteries/ and switch panel.

lime4x4

Reaction score
For me i would have to install 3 hatch panels which wouldn't look good on the deck

shauncooper

Reaction score
Also not too worried with ventilation, there wasnt really much ventilation in the standard battery location anyway. I already have a deck hatch that was used for refilling the oil tanks, so that can be used for basic access and will likely then have to pull the deck panel once or so a year for annual battery maintenance. I just didnt have the space to install larger or a third battery battery in standard location, it was so cramped in the two battery hatches with fuel and livewell plumbing as it was.

lime4x4

Reaction score
What size battery cable are u running since u relocated the batteries? Mine had 4 gauge battery wire. If i would move all the batteries to the forward section of that compartment i think i would need to run heavy wire.

shauncooper

Reaction score
I used 2 AWG for the batteries. Mine are right near the back of the compartment and my switches are in the rear just below the gunwale, so I think the longest length I have is about 6 foot.

My new radar and autopilot arrived today, so going to be a busy Easter weekend working on the boat.

shauncooper

Reaction score
Got any further on the project?

Got my new radar, autopilot and shore power installed today, so just about ready to get her wet for the first time this season.