1989 Grady White 190 Tournament (150 Hours)

Action_Jackson

Reaction score
My family bought this Grady White last Spring after being fairly envious of a fellow cottager who had a similar one on our lake in Ontario, Canada. Grady White's are fairly rare in these parts compared to the US. The boat has a neat history. It was originally bought by a family in the Eastern USA and was used for two seasons. The boat was then stored until 2005 where one of the relatives purchased the bought and imported it to Canada. It was used for 3 more seasons and then sold to another party who only lightly used it for two years salmon fishing on Lake Ontario. We are the 3rd owners but the boat has a recorded history of around 150 hours and the boat/motor shows it. It has an 1989 130hp Yamaha that has perfect compression (has a rebuilt carb from sitting so long) and runs like a top. I was unsure if it would be enough to push the deep V bow but I purchased a high rake 13"-1/4 X 17" pitch SS prop and the boat planes no problem with a full load without trim tabs and will run around 35 mph with 4 people and the top up and half a load of fuel. I was already a huge fan of Yamaha having owned every single make of motor and always being the most satisfied with Yamaha. The boat really is a time capsule. This past winter I have sanded and restored all the teak trim with Sikkens Cetol including the swim platform. The full navy top was new in 2005 as well as the trailer and has minimal use. I have also replaced any faded, pitted stainless trim, buttons, cupholders, scuppers etc. It came with a kicker plate attached, VHF (added and extra Shakespeare 8' whip for AM/FM for the new Stereo). The boat was only used in fresh water and the bottom coat is still mint (had a fresh coat applied few years back). We have a water access cottage and this Grady is quite honestly the best boat for it. I like all the Grady's but I prefer the Tournament body style to the 192 style with the high Stainless bow rails and the straight stern. Amazing quality in these boats, I constantly get people asking many questions about her and are all blown away she is an 89! Don't think I will own another boat other than a Grady White.
IMG_1647_zps9621c8be.jpg

IMG_1817_zpsfb35c084.jpg

IMG_1740_zps0e3baa68.jpg

IMG_1725_zps83b461c2.jpg

P1010101_zps9f5da5c0.jpg

Willy-C

Reaction score
I know how ya feel Action Jackson.......I think I bought the younger sister (1992).......Most people think it's almost new

August2011038640x480.jpg

Reaction score
what a looker... love the real wood on the older Grady's... I plan on replacing some parts on my 97 with some real teak.

Action_Jackson

Reaction score
192 said:
what a looker... love the real wood on the older Grady's... I plan on replacing some parts on my 97 with some real teak.

Thanks, I know what you mean. Yes it is more maintenance but the look of real teak is great.

wires38

Reaction score
Nice!
We had an 88' for 8 seasons. Very stable running south shore Long Island NY inlets.Great in all conditions, Biggest 19 footer ever.
I made a teak table that sat above the motor well. It was the same shape as the motor well cutout, a bit larger(1/2"). with cleats underneath to hold it there. With the angles perfect it stayed put even in rough water. It also had a 4" backsplash and a ss piano hinge withwise allowing it to fold up and back on itself to allow access to the baitwell. Awesome for lunch and matching the cockpit teak. I miss our "Thunderbolt" first time I saw her my knees got weak,... really.

Tcketcham

Reaction score
Action- What lake are you on? Feel the same about my boat on our lake- just perfect! Nice to see photos of other Gradys in cottage country.
From a fellow '86 tourney owner near Perth.