Complete Restoration on a badly damaged 2009 232 Gulfstream

BBS

Reaction score
Hi all, I have had a lot of great feedback from local Grady White owners on our latest project and was encouraged to share it with you on this site. Our business, The Boat Body Shop, out of Cornelius, NC (Lake Norman) was approached to repair a very badly damaged 2009 Gulfstream 232. The boat was in transit on the interstate and an unfortunate series of events caused the boat to be thrown from the trailer resulting in colossal damage throughout. Hard-top was bent into a pretzel, all glass wings were destroyed, top half of the helm was ground down, freeboards were delaminated, one engine was ripped off transom extension, the list goes on. Most would take one look at the boat after the accident and assume it was a total loss, only valuable as scrap. The owner of the boat had a different idea. I am not at liberty to share the financial circumstances of the accident nor the repair work - the main goal of this post is to show what can be done to boats that most would never consider repairable. When we received the boat, some repair work had been started by a previous facility - most of which had to be dug out and re-done. Both engines were retained, although almost every nut and bolt was replaced with new and they were refinished in Stark White, with custom Yamaha decals to match. The owner made the ballsy decision to refinish the freeboards in Interlux AWLCRAFT 2000 Bright Atlantic Blue metallic along with refinishing the deck with Interlux AWLGRIP Stark White and Interlux Griptex on all non-skid surfaces. The interior was completely re-covered with marine grade ultra-leather. Other various subtle upgrades were performed throughout including a hand-crafted stainless steel anchor guard.

The boat after the accident:
J47SIVp.jpg

Vrpxcnb.jpg

lWDl92Z.jpg

wmjlQ9W.jpg

bK9JNd2.jpg

HGLqtvQ.jpg

MS4kqjU.jpg

Vj3HDma.jpg

bQwkFUU.jpg

in7jiOV.jpg

skJpENN.jpg

And now, after 4 months of repair work - the finished product:

QlLuCLG.jpg

CGHkcsW.jpg

OY4NlEC.jpg

StZO1ek.jpg

EBPnd91.jpg

kkb84mM.jpg

OGKA0EU.jpg

D7qQSy4.jpg

GLprupg.jpg

jE1I46H.jpg

fTmx6zE.jpg

zqzz5JE.jpg

VTnDIcC.jpg

5JLfDT2.jpg

xJ7sni5.jpg

At The Boat Body Shop we specialize in all things cosmetic from major fiberglass reconstruction to paint/gel-cote work to custom metal fabrication. Any questions... just ask!

Reactions: CEJ

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Re: Complete Restoration on a badly damaged 2009 232 Gulfstr

That is exquisite.

Stowefish

Reaction score

Wow! Better than the original. Was wondering where to get the hardware to create that anchor set up, very clean and seems like it would work better than what I have with my windlass.

Great job!

Seafarer228G

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Wow!!! Amazing!!! :jaw

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Wow! I just happened to stumble upon this thread as I do not get to photo section often.

To do your work justice, you should move this thread to the General Discussion so it gets proper exposure. Maybe post on THT too.

Fishtales

Reaction score

Looks awesome....

wavetamer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

totally beautiful boat, wonder how the got the anchor hull protector to stick doesn't look bolted, 5200 maybe

Ratical

Reaction score

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

USSBATHTUB

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
YOUR 23 IS THE BEST LOOKING GRADY THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN I TRULY MEAN IT, GOOD LUCK

Fishtales

Reaction score
how is she looking these days?