First Tuna for the "Back 4 More"

abielecki

Reaction score
Hi Guys - I spent the last 2 years readying my GW268 for this day, from rigging the boat to assembling fishing and safety gear to learning about offshore fishing. I want to thank my friend from Morrisons for letting me buddy boat out to one of the northern canyons with him yesterday. Left the dock at 2am. 70 miles later we put the spread in (no real temp breaks or weed lines were found but a saw few Dolphin and pilot whales in the distance). A loud pop and a screaming reel peirced the silence at around 8:30am with my fist tuna on in 1000' of blue 80.1 degree water. Hooked him on Sterling's large rainbow jet daisy chain tied off to a TLD30 bolted to Connley's beautiful stand up 30-50 roller rod. I watched the reel almost spool all the way out, guess I was in a bit of shock that I had my first tuna on! What a beautiful moment, kind of like when the kids were born. My buddy smacked in me the head and I grabbed the rod as he cleared the other 6 rods (he's a newbie too reading a magazine article out loud all morning about setting up a tuna spread). Later at about 11am we ran into a frenzy of bait and tuna jumping 6-8' out of the water. Hooked into three more, two on the same chain and one on Sterling's small pink tiger super jet chain. Can't wait fo rthe next 5-7 knot wind and 2 foot @ 9 sec day to do it all again!! My Yami HPDI 200's burned 151gal of fuel over the 187mile trip.