how to learn to fish?

zimm

Reaction score
I want to learn how to start fishing with my grady. Where do I start? Any good websites? I boat on the Potomac between DC and just south of the 301. But my wife really wants some rock fish (stripers), so I may have to trailer further south or hit the bay.

My fishing experience is limited to catching sun fish off a dock with a light spinning reel.

My boat came with two outriggers, but I was thinking of starting small with a couple of rod/reels to either troll or bottom fish with. I'm going to mail in my application for a Potomac River Fisheries sport fshing license for the boat. I have lots of time at work to read the web on how to get started, but I need a shove in the right direction.

zimm

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check it out. I tried my first fishing excursion Saturday evening down at St. George's island (near the Potomac River mouth and Chesapeake Bay). My buddy had all the gear- 4 rods and reels, umbrella rigs, etc. So we trolled 4 lines for 3 hours. Nothing. Back at the bar it turned out nobody was catching anything this weekend due to the 5 inches of rain we got on Friday. The guy at the bait counter the next morning said our rigs would have worked a couple weeks ago, but now only the small ones are biting. Next time we'll hit the bait shop BEFORE we hit the river. Intel is everything. We did have fun though. I guess I would be more bummed if other boats were hitting their limit and we struck out alone, but sounds like everyone had a bad weekend.

Jas

Reaction score
Hey Zimm,

Yes, local Intel is very important. Most guys are starting to switch up from trolling to other methods; jigging, chum, bottom fishing and soon live lining.

One other thing I would recommend is a charter. Go out with a Captain that will share insights and allow you to work the process. You can try it a hundred times yourself or see it done once from a professional. The learning curve is immeasurable.

Two that I know (and would recommend) are Greg & Don. Greg runs,
www.iFishMD.com

And Don
http://www.hunteronthebay.com/

Both fish the mid Bay and run a similar class of WA boats. Both very sharp guys.
See ya on the bay.

Jas

Graybeard

Reaction score
Hey guys
I live in Cape St Claire where several charter guys live. Right now the chumming and bottom bites are starting on the local oyster rock and hard bottoms.