270 Islander

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Do you think they will bring back this walkaround? I just recently found one used and looked it over. I was so impressed I couldn't stand it. But, I can't go there yet. Maybe in about a year I can, so hoping that now that the 290 Chesapeake is out, they will bring back the 270 so that they will have one between the 25 and 29.
Of course, I will be looking for a used one if they don't come out with a new one, but would really like it new!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I doubt that GW will bring back the 270.

We'd certainly like a bigger Grady, but our 270 is a great boat!

Brian

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I wonder why since this is the largest 8'6" trailerable model, well before the new law went into affect that now allows us to trailer wider boats, but I really would like to see it an an in-between.

The 25 is just a tad too small in some areas such as the cabin headroom and the 28-29's are just a tad too big, so the 270 was the perfect size for both trailering, weight, and cabin area for a night or two.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lucky Strike said:
Roberth,
Can you explain that new trailering law, I'm not familiar with it.

Thank you

Yea me too. At last I heard NC was being "unfriendly" to wide loads.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the 268/270 as well. The sailfish gives you an extra berth and a little more room, but it's harder to trailer and more money.

We love the 265 but without recessed decks and a dinette table it dropped off our shortlist.

Another boat that has caught my eye is the Albemarle 268, but they are as much as a used sailfish so that doesn't make much sense unless someone really wanted a V8 with an outdrive. The twin inboard 280 is really the way to go if for Albemarle. I'm not sure why I'm so attracted to those boats, just love the new 28 footer, especially with diesels.

Now if someone would just step up to the plate for a really nice 208!!

kooch1221

Reaction score
Funny I just talked to the local Grady dealer about the Islander line being dropped. He told me that after loading up an Islander and a Sailfish they were so close in price most people opted for the Sailfish.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
kooch1221 said:
Funny I just talked to the local Grady dealer about the Islander line being dropped. He told me that after loading up an Islander and a Sailfish they were so close in price most people opted for the Sailfish.

This is basically correct. The way the dealers kept the price gap between the 270 and the 282 was to rig the 270 with a single engine. Back in 2002, that meant a 250HP OX66 on our 270 - barely adequate at 50% of rated horsepower.

Once you rigged a 270 with twins, there was far less price difference to move up to the 282.

With the 282 gone now, there really is a wide gap between walkarounds at the 232 and 290 points.

Brian

kooch1221

Reaction score
They still carry the Journey 258 which is in between the 232 and 290.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It's a rare occassion I see an Islander with an original twin setup, very rare. Single 250 OX66 is the norm. Can't do a single with a Sailfish. So I would take issue with what dealer said. He's minimizing the need for the Islander and it's subsequent RIP status, forgive me for being brutally direct.

Further, the Islander being a more economical boat to buy as well as operate due to narrower beam, and can be trailered with no restrictions (in NY). Which means no slip necessary.
Up here, beyond 8 ft 6 in. permits or not, I believe Sundays is no trailering day, and holidays, and certain hours of any day, no trailering. Irrespective if laws make a difference to you.

I would argue if the Journey is between the Gulf and Sailfish, I believe Grady positions the Journey like the former Offshore, positioned below wider beam heavier Gulf.

Now that the 290 will be even further spread in price than the RIP Sailfish (2008 NY Boat Show Price= over $160K w/o electronics), IMHO, making it probably over $200K, and further from the Gulf, the Grady plan market focus shift continues on it's way which includes, accordingly, being totally oblivious to massive fuel cost recent rise.

Reminds me of Bush or McCain or whoever it was, not knowing the price of gasoline at the pump (why? because it doesn't matter what gas costs).

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
NC law was no boats over 8'6" and if so, you had to have a permit that was very restrictive to banners, flags, etc and could not tow at night or on Sunday.
Lots of impact to the state over the last year, so the vote went in and Gov. Easley veto'ed. The Veto was overridden and was the first override for Ealey.
So, we now have the ability to tow per this ammendment:
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2007/Bill ... 167v8.html

This puts the boats that are just over 8'6" back on my list. However, I was still very impressed with the 268/270 Islander.

Seems that since Grady still uses that same hull on the 27 Tournament and Center Consol, that it would be fairly easy to make the Walk Around available. Likely, the mold is still around. Keeping fingers crossed.

Of course, I have to spend some time now to consider the 23 and new 25 Journey. I have been on both, but need to go back and sit on both and examine more, but my heart was on the 270 due to size, storage, and space.
Standing up in the cabin on the 25 Journey was just touching my head and I am short. Want something deeper so that neck jambing is minimized. The 270 was perfect.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Glad to hear you guys can now tow anything you want unresticted down there, not likely up here in downstate NY, roads are heavily congested so the idea remains to please the masses, keep the peace and cool hot headed driving populace stuck in traffic - so not to hear "get that behemith out of the way".

If you want an Islander, buy one used, some of these guys keep these pristine as well as very little time on water for some.

If you wanted new modern 4 stoke power, then repower, if the boat was still offered new, repowering a used one would have been less costly than entirely new, IMHO. And you can choose to repower with a single or twins, one model boat fits both twins and single, not so with Gulfstream.
if you want twins, suggest looking at similar vintage Sailfish, it's wider, basically, that's it. And a lot more offered for sale to pick from.

Wider means better cabin/bridge accomodations.
New power on a used pristine well maintained boat = new boat.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
>snip

New power on a used pristine well maintained boat = new boat.

Couldn't agree more.

When the f350 came out I wondered if that would work on the Islander, and the general consensus was no. But I'll bet a Suzuki 300 would work great.

I like the idea of twin F150's too.

I wouldn't mind an older one that was clean, dump the OX66 250 single and put a new zuki on it. Or even a 300 e-tec, that would have to go pretty good.

Sadly, there were a couple with HPDI250 and 300 singles for sale a while ago, and from what I could tell no one would take them. They were pretty new boats too.

From the ads I've seen they run at least ten grand less than a comparable Sailfish, even less if it's a single.

I've often wondered how the cut-away transom works on the 268 - any comments?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The comparison in the 268 to 270 change was that the 270 was made to support the heavier 4 stroke motors. They made the hull full length to the transom instead of a stepped hull I think is how it was described on the 268. Haven't been able to compare that to see for myself.

I would be looking for a 270 over the 268 just because I would love to have twins over single and larger rather than smaller motors.

I have had a boat for over 20 years that is just barely able to do 33 mph, and I can't tell you how many times I am sick of this slow speed when trying to get in before a storm, etc.

Would I be happy with a boat that can do 45mph? Likely!
Would I be happier with one that would do 50? For sure!
Would I be happy if the boat would plane on one engine in case of failure? Absolutely!

So, seems that the research I have been doing over the last few years in by search for a boat (and by the way why haven't I triggered the purchase yet? College that is almost over) has been finding that 150's are light enough to allow some of the lighter boats to plane on a single whereas you need to move on up to twin 250's to get it back over the added weight.

Have heard that if you go from 150's to 200's, the performance is negligable due to weight, that the Yamaha 225 helps fix the added weight some over the 200's, but that the 250's perform nearly as well as the 150's in most categories except for trolling and idle, yet run on lower rpm's so likely the 250's are not working as hard and will last longer.

I dunno ,but if I found a 270 with twin 225 or 250's, I would jump on it hard whereas I would look around longer if it had 150's.

Also, figure by the time I add fuel, water, curtains, gear, and 4 or 5 fat guys, then my former 45mph boat would now do about 40 wide open and that is too hard on the engines, so guess what, back to that 20-25mph cruise that I am not happy with. I want to cruise at 30ish. Then I feel like I am moving. :D

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think a revamped 270 modified to take a single Yamaha 350 (like the 275) that is trailerable would be the ticket.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
See my comments below...

ROBERTH said:
The comparison in the 268 to 270 change was that the 270 was made to support the heavier 4 stroke motors. They made the hull full length to the transom instead of a stepped hull I think is how it was described on the 268. Haven't been able to compare that to see for myself.

Correct. The bottom of the 268 did not extend all the way to the back of the Eurotransom. They 270 has a full-length bottom, and a higher HP rating (500).

I would be looking for a 270 over the 268 just because I would love to have twins over single and larger rather than smaller motors.

268 can have twins, just a lower rated HP (450, I think).

I have had a boat for over 20 years that is just barely able to do 33 mph, and I can't tell you how many times I am sick of this slow speed when trying to get in before a storm, etc.

Would I be happy with a boat that can do 45mph? Likely!
Heavily loaded, with curtains up, we can do 42.

Would I be happier with one that would do 50? For sure!
You would need F225s, or more.

Would I be happy if the boat would plane on one engine in case of failure? Absolutely!
If the engines are propped properly for dual operation, then it's tough to get up on one. Might be able to with BIG engines.

So, seems that the research I have been doing over the last few years in by search for a boat (and by the way why haven't I triggered the purchase yet? College that is almost over) has been finding that 150's are light enough to allow some of the lighter boats to plane on a single whereas you need to move on up to twin 250's to get it back over the added weight.

Have heard that if you go from 150's to 200's, the performance is negligable due to weight, that the Yamaha 225 helps fix the added weight some over the 200's, but that the 250's perform nearly as well as the 150's in most categories except for trolling and idle, yet run on lower rpm's so likely the 250's are not working as hard and will last longer.

I dunno ,but if I found a 270 with twin 225 or 250's, I would jump on it hard whereas I would look around longer if it had 150's.
The F150s (or the 150HPDI) are absolutely great on the 270. The 200HPDI are even stronger.

Also, figure by the time I add fuel, water, curtains, gear, and 4 or 5 fat guys, then my former 45mph boat would now do about 40 wide open and that is too hard on the engines, so guess what, back to that 20-25mph cruise that I am not happy with. I want to cruise at 30ish. Then I feel like I am moving.
We head offshore with full fuel, full water, all the gear for trolling and deep-dropping, 200+ pounds of ice, five people who weigh the same as seven or eight, curtains, etc. We cruise at 26-28knots, and have run back in at 32kts. WOT loaded like that is 36+kts. And we get 1.6-1.7nm/gal when cruising that way.

:D

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Great info ocnslr!

Seems the 150's do a really great job! I would still strongly consider them if the bigger engines were not available. Cruise and top end are very good based on your experience! :D

Also, I noticed you pic is on the water. Do you have bottom paint? If you are pushing 150's with bottom paint, those are very good numbers indeed. Assuming that you lose a mph or so with bottom paint.

One more thought....seems folks now are more comfortable with HPDI's? I just remember there were problems with them and everyone was trying to get away from them. Batteries were sensitive to capacity, fuel pump issues, etc. Don't remember all the details, but thought the larger engines were more problems such as over 200hp?

Should I consider the 200 hpdi or 225's if I happen to come across them?

Tunacious D

Reaction score
The 200 HPDIs are rock solid reliable, fast and weight around 100lbs less per engine than 4-strokes. Still have to use oil. But you don't have to adjust valves, change oil, etc. I think it is basically a wash (4-stroke maintenance v. 2-stroke oil). The economy should be similar to 4-strokes. They are quiet, start easily and ours haven't smoked at all. By the way, have I told you how much I love my HPDI's?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I can cruise in the 30's (seas permitting) in a Sailfish with 200's. A narrower lighter Islander should be able to cruise 30's with 200's. If you find one with 200 HPDI's it should really suit your needs.