small dings on gelcoat

Grady White Guy

Reaction score
What is the best product to use for small dings and scratches on the gelcoat that will match the grady white gelcoat color?
Has anyone used the 'spectrum gel coat patch paste repair? Does it match the GW color?

seasick

Reaction score
Grady White Guy said:
What is the best product to use for small dings and scratches on the gelcoat that will match the grady white gelcoat color?
Has anyone used the 'spectrum gel coat patch paste repair? Does it match the GW color?

The Spectrum matches pretty well if your hull is not too old. The older the hull and the more sun it was exposed to, the more the color has changed from the original.
There are those who mix their own using a white gell coat base and a small tad of brown coloring but that is beyond my skills. I don't see colors very well!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Your dealer will sell touch up kits. Very easy to work with and they can provide installation instructions.

grady23

Reaction score
I have done several "Dock Rash" repairs on my boat using the kit from Grady-White. As mentioned, you will likely NOT get a perfect color match due to sun bleaching. I use alcohol to clean the area around the ding. Lightly sand any rough areas with 800-100 Grit sandpaper and clean again with alcohol.Do ALL the prep before you prepare the gelcoat repair. Mix the gelcoat as directions specify. If you have more than 2 dings, you will need to work fast. The mix will began to setup within 5 minutes and will be un-workable within 8-10. I use masking tape around the repair to limit the amount of sanding do be done. Use a body filler spreader to spread the mix and get it as smooth as possible. Give the repair adequate time to cure and if you can allow it to setup over-night. I sand starting with1000 Grit then go to 1500 and finish with 1800-2000. ALL SANDING done with WET/DRY sandpaper that is kept wet. once you ge the desired finish, Wax, buff and repeat with 2nd wax coating.
IF you can see layers of fiberglass, you can cover up to one layer of glass. Beyond that, you might need professional help. If so, find someone working on Corvettes that does body work or someone that knows thier stuff doing boat repairs.