Plastic mould

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have wondered for some time if anyone has found a remedy for getting mould out of the plastic (composit) helm chairs on their Grady (mine is a 208) I have tried all possible cleaners and scrubbers. It appears to be ingrained in the plastic, not surface mould and I have not been able to remove any of it. I believe my “yacht” came from Florida originally, so maybe it has become a baked in finish. Anyway of you guys with success in this removal would be great to hear from. Happy 2018 to you all. Cheers trapper :bang

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Mold can sometimes be a pain if it's really set in. Try about 5:1 water:bleach. Spray it or, even better, saturate a white rag and let it sit on there for 5-10 minutes. Rinse with water.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've had good luck with Zep Mold and Mildew remover. 3 min max.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
When they are really bad, take the entire armrests off of the seat and soak each one in a Tupperware tray containing full strength bleach and a drop or two of Dawn dish detergent to act as a wetting agent. It takes a couple of days to get rid of really deep mold.

3M and a couple of other suppliers make mold inhibitors that need to be applied every 3 months.

Here is a set that were completely black after cleaning them up as I just described:

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Certainly like the look of the armrests Doc. I will apply your soak remidy as it appears to really do the job. I will need a little deeper soaking bath to submerge the back of the chairs, but doable. Thanks and I will attempt a before and after pics. Cheers trapper.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
trapper said:
Thanks guys, Certainly like the look of the armrests Doc. I will apply your soak remidy as it appears to really do the job. I will need a little deeper soaking bath to submerge the back of the chairs, but doable. Thanks and I will attempt a before and after pics. Cheers trapper.

Mine have set screws you can loosen to adjust the height, or remove totally off the uprights. Not sure if yours are setup the same.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I will be removing the chairs then laying the backs in shallow tub with the bleach. Most of the mould I want to remove is in the is in the top of the chair. Any mould in rest of the chair I may be able to clean up with gelling the bleach and applying with a paint brush. Will report on my effort when I return from my holidays. Cheers Fret Knot. :D to

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm thinking you could probably soak some old towel in bleach and just hang them over the arms....

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Haarpoon, will try the towel before going to gelling the bleach. At the moment I am using towels to dry off after snorkeling for the next month in Puerto Morelos Mexic If I can’t boat at home I think this will do. Cheers trapper 9 :D :D

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fret Knot, I think you owe us a bit of a yarn about what goes down there. At least we could live vicariously through your words. We like stories about Boats, Beer, Bait, Bikinis, Beaches and such other pursuits that have led you astray.