Matching Screws for Rub-Rail/Hull

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi all,

Does anyone happen to know the specs on the screws used to hold the rub-rail into place on a '95 Sailfish 272?

As mentioned in another thread, I'm currently in the process of repairing a leak in my cabin, which turns out to be the result of some loose and bent screws in the rub-rail. In the process of removing the rail, I found a number of bent or nearly-stripped screws, and wanted to replace them. I live nowhere near a West Marine (Nassau, Bahamas) and so took one of the screws to a local hardware store. I was unable to find an exact match, so I wonder if I'll need to visit a marine parts shop?

In terms of size, head-shape, and length, the screws seem to be about a #8 US Sheet Metal Screw. (There was limited metric selection to compare, but I figure GW would use US screws, right?). However, when it comes to the threads, the threading is something between a #8 and #10 (unfortunately there does not seem to be a #9!). Friendly guy in the shop told me that if the screws are going into wood or fiberglass, I shouldn't worry too much about the threading, since it will just carve new threads. After all, it doesn't have to screw into a bolt with exact thread match. Any opinions on that?

Attachments

• IMG_1331.JPG
    IMG_1331.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 476

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
looks like a stainless steel #8 x 1" countersunk phillips head. I wouldn't worry about the thread either. Its not a machine screw.

If thats what came out, put the same back in. If there are some that don't bite, use a #10 in that hole.

Sometimes putting the rubrail back on, somehow all the holes don't exactly line up anymore. You may have to add some new screws and/or drill new pilot holes.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks Skunkboat,

My main concern was matching the thread, but if that's really no concern, then I'll buy a bunch of #8s and a few #10s for the stripped holes.

I still find it strange that the thread doesn't quite match a #8 or #10. Is there such a thing as a #9?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Take one to a marine hardware store and have them match it up.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Jonah said:
Thanks Skunkboat,

My main concern was matching the thread, but if that's really no concern, then I'll buy a bunch of #8s and a few #10s for the stripped holes.

I still find it strange that the thread doesn't quite match a #8 or #10. Is there such a thing as a #9?

No #9 but sheet metal screws are available with coarse or fine thread. I don't think I've ever seen fine thread Stainless sheet metal screws used in this fashion or sold at marine stores.
Also there are metric versions that would have a different thread which you might be seeing in the Bahamas.

I'm kind of surprised they were flat countersunk and not oval or pan head.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks again everyone.

Fishtales, I'll probably take it in. I just live about 35 minutes from the nearest marine shop. Even then, we're still talking about a marine shop in the Bahamas, and so I have my doubts as to whether it's worth the drive. :|

Skunkboat, thanks again. It's actually an oval-head. The angle of the photo didn't quite capture the curved top.

Onward ...

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Update: I wrote to Grady, and they guessed (from memory, not the pic) that the screws were either #8s or #10s. For some reason the threads aren't matching perfectly, but oh well.