MOUNTING WISHBONE OUTRIGGER BASES

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
HELLO ALL ITS BEEN A LONG WINTER BUT THE FISHING SEASON IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER NOW. WELL I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE GOOD TO THROUGH THIS TO THE BOARD BEFORE I STARTED TO DRILL ANY HOLES. I AM PUTTING ON A PAIR OF 2 IN LEE OUTRIGGER BASES ON A 26.8 ILANDER WITH 15 FT POLES WITH SPREADERS.MY QUESTIONS IS THERE A CERTAIN DEGREE YOU MOUNT THE WISHBONES AT. I PUT A BROOM STICK IN THE HOLDER TO SEE WHAT LOOKS BEST AS FAR AS THE ANGLE LOOKS. NEXT IT LOOKS LIKE THE SPEREDERS ARE GOING TO BE UP AGAINST THE HARDTOP IN THE LOCKED POSISION.HAS ANYBODY EVER HAD TO SHIM OUT THE BASES? THE BASES SEEM TO HAVE TO BE MOUNTED UP PRETTY HIGH SO WHEN THEY ARE PUT OUT THEY WONT HIT THE SIDE RAIL. THANKS I LOOK FORWARD TO HERING FROM YOU.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The link below may be some help. I installed Lee Senior (now called "pro") style last year. Did a lot of research and got a few ideas, the tip of the outrigger should be in front of the transom by around two feet when in the lowered position, I fabricated backing plates for the lower mounts for mine, also used bedding compound as required. Many people worry about how they look more than how they function, I tried to compromise :) Look at the gallery on this website and get a feel what other boats look like. Should see alot of Lee Juniors as they are very popular on Grady White boats.

http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtop ... lee+junior

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
thanks scott i know it was alot more to it then laying them up there and screwing them down. whould you have any close up pictures thanks steve

nevsatII

Reaction score
I installed Lee Juniors on my 05 Gulfstream last year. Call Grady customer service they will e-mail you dimensions. Also I'am sure they can tell you if you need to shim them. Grady customer service has always been helpful to me.[/i]

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Steve,
Yes I have close up photos of my setup, but my outriggers are much different than what you are about to install. For example mine have three mounting points, two on the helm bulkead and one on the hardtop. My bases are eight feet long while yours are about one or two feet. I don't think my photos would help you.

Let me know if you still want them and I will have to get my 14 year old son show his old man how to add photos later tonight when I get home.

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
thanks scott, thats okay the bases i have are about 1or 2 feet a freind of mine sold them to me i think he is putting on a pair like you have.im going to try to contact gw this week and see what kind of info i can get. if any body else out there have installed these type of wishbone style bases and have any pictures if you can post i would aprisiate it thanks steve

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
I went down to the grady dealer to see how every body is mounting these bases. I dont mean to get off subject but those are the most stuck up people Ive ever run across.I use to go there about 10 years ago to look at all my dream boats and was trying to get some info from them the sales guy said do you no how much these boats cost.I just smiled and said yes.when i left there i know i would never buy any thing from them but they where the closes to my home. well i finaly got my dream boat and it wasent from them.Ive gone in ther several times since Ive owned my boat and nothing has changed. I wanted to ask them about the instalation of these bases but know they would blow me off so i left. Ijust wanted to say thanks to every body on this forum and the people who put it together for it is the best place I can find for reliable information.thanks steve

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I fitted my Lee juniors approx 12 months ago. Grady suggested mounting all three mounts on the side of the cabin .....however I preferred the base mount to be mounted horizontally on the deck, It seemed a sturdier fit, there is a lot of leverage on the end of those riggers in rough conditions and also if you intend to tow large baits a we do here.
I required teflon blocks under some of the mounts to clear the hard
top. Also i mounted teflon blocks under the hooks that the poles sit in when travelling.It all works well.
As others have said when the riggers are down the tips should be close to or even level with the transom.
The bases need to be aligned correctly or they will bind when you try to lay them down.I had to move one of mine 1/2" to make it drop smoothly.
Take your time, think it through, and definitely use backing plates on the bases mounted on the cabin sides as they seem to have the most force excerted on them.

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
jelky thanks do you still have room to walk around them if it is mounted to the deck? i can see what you mean it would be a lot more stable. do you have any issues when they are putt down with hitting the rail. it seems im going to have to mount mine as high as i can so they will clear the rail.Im putting them on today so thanks for the info and ill let you know how they turn out. steve

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They don't hit anything and they will collapse pretty much all the way. I was keen to get that adjustability.
Yes you can walk around fairly easily, none of us is heavy or big so it's quite easy. Personally I would rather have the width in the helm area as we usually only go forwards for anchoring, which is normally in a shelterd position.
Sometimes my son(16) will go forwards with a rod to cast Poppers etc off the front which leaves the cockpit for someone else.

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
ok guys I gotter done it should not of taken that long but i got about 10 hours in it most off that time was thinking. but im very happy the way they torned out only24 holes and none to patch thanks for all the info steve