Yamaha 225 four stroke

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Need some help. Just had the water pumps done and thermostats. After this was done I am now getting a sound like a belt sqeal when in neutral. As soon as i engage the gears the noise is gone and all sounds normal. The water pump appears to be working but the motor overheated at idle after about 10 or so at idle. As soon as I put in gear and ran at cruise the boat was fine no overheating. I am also now having some issues with the pressure guage, appears to be sticking or just not opperating the way it should. All 3 issues are happening after the water pump and thermostats were changed. I am thinking bad pump.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The squealing noise was discussed either here or at THT as I recall, but don't recall it involved with overheating, some bushing needs lubrication or replacemenmt on the nosie, Wait util others reply of go to THT and search for it, and check Andy's site at SIM on THT.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yamaha

I looked up the sqeal on THT and it appears to be a bushing but its just bizzare that the sqeal, overheat and pressure guage all are problems now after the new waterpump.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My stbd engine squeels at idle a lto after running a long time, it comes and goes, just needs to be lubricated, I forget the exact location, my dealer did it when I wa sin for service, mad eit better but it came back over time. I've been told it is normal and not going to harm anything and just to leave it alone until it breaks...mines been doing it for 3 seasons now...about 400 hours so I am not overly worried, just more annoying then anything else. Luckily I have the well dam and that blocks out 90% of it, only hear it if I'm in the cockpit rigging as someone else drives out. As far as it being tied into the belt, it should not be.

Overheating at idle means they might have installed the pump impeller upside down, it will grind a little and not turn well and will not circulate enough water, when the thermostat opens when in gear and a few rpm's higher, more water passes through the engine cooling it down which might be how the alarm goes off. You have not stated how the water feels...do you feel a difference in water temp, is it notiable? It could be something else if the water is still cold but the alarm triggers. Are your intakes in the lower unit free of growth? at higher speeds you could be forcing in water which allows it to cool, but the grwth could be blocking enough water from passing through at idle when sitting.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yamaha

The lower unit is clean no growth, that was the first thing i checked. I am not as concerned with the noise since the motor is running well as they always do. The backwards impeller is a compelling idea, i hate to mention that to my mechanic, could be insulting. I would hope he would know the difference, the other motor appears to be working OK with no overheating problems or squeals. I hope to get him to the boat early next week to take a look. The problem is no trailer so it limits my ability to have the impeller checked. Tunas around the corner and I hate running offshore when i am not 100% comfortable with both motors.
thanks for your input.