Fuse panel upgrade

amr72

Reaction score
I have a fuse panel for my dash mounted under my helm. It holds those glass fuses and I would like to upgrade it. West Marine has a Blue Seas one for $89. Has anyone made this change and can recommend the best options. I have my electronics wired to this fuse panel via the acc switch and I suspect it may be a weak link in the system...

richie rich

Reaction score
There are several makers of these panels...Blue Sea, BEP, Paneltronics etc...Blue Sea is good, but West Marine is probably the most expensive....try online somewhere as you look for the same model since you like it.
Most panels have main power wiring coming into the panel to power the whole thing, and then you will have the individual wires from each accessory that will be attached to the appropriate toggles....I would cut and make new end connections for all your wires to be sure they are solid....use shrink tubing over the connector and put a light coat of electical connector grease (sold in small tubes in most marine stores) on the final connection to keep salty moisture out.....all units should come with an installation guide and use your owners manual to trace or color code your wires.....you may need to modify your existing hole to make a new panel fit.....lets see your handy work!

markb8608

Reaction score
Blue Sea

Hi
I purchased a (8 or 12) Blue Sea at West Marine for $54. I took a marine outboard repair course at a local vo-tech. The prfessors said the Blue Sea in "tinned" and is the best panel.
I plan on taking a picture before I remove old fuse panel. I think you can get enough room to simply disconnect mouting screw but leave fuses and wires attached to old panel.I plan on mouting new panel behind the (temporarily hanging ) old panel so I don't get mixed up when re-attaching the wires to the new panel.
Mark