seat cushions

jim f 232

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'd like to replace the helm seat cushions on my 90 Gulfstream but I'm not sure who made those seats for that year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

catch22

Reaction score
I had a 91 Gulfstream. The seats were made by Wise for GW. WD562's are basically the same seat, just a generic version.
Check out this link and see if yours look similar - http://www.wiseseats.com/wise_marine_offshore_562.html

Some differences;
The generic WD562 is white, the Grady version is beige.
The back side of the upper cushion, (seat back) has a mesh material, as oposed to all vinyl on the Grady version.
The snap pattern on the upper cushion is slightly different, you have to relocate 2 of the snaps, (not a big deal).

If you don't mind the color contrast, you can order replacement cushions for the generic WD562 directly from Wise. Contact info- http://www.wiseseats.com/wise_marine_contactus.html

Wise told me, they will not sell genuine Grady replacement items directly to the public. You have to go through a Grady dealer.. and you know what that means $$$. I don't recall what I paid for the cushions, (I ordered 2 sets) but imo, it was reasonable.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
He can alternately take a cushion to a canvas guy and price up replacements, will be cheaper than grady. Can get the off whit beige color to match

Make sure you have guy demonstrate materials & color proposed and firmness of cushion foam he intends to use.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm just about due for new cushions too. When I brought my curtains to a local canvas guy I asked him about redoing a cushion, he told me to go to West Marine. By the time you add up all the labor to make a new cushion, going to Grady is cheaper. If you want some off the wall color then go custom but otherwise buy one already made.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not all canvas guys do cushions and bolsters, and visa versa, perhaps you would have more luck at an auto seat place.

Go to West Marine he said, He obviously is not the right guy.

Nothing wrong with shopping around to find the best deal and product quality. Grady is not in the seat cushion business, they do it as a courtesy to existing Grady owners.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think the guy was honest. Material alone is $15-$20 with at least an hour of time to cut the pieces and sew them together then add a zipper. When they're mas produced things go much faster.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
They are not mass produced as replacement seats, only when Grady cuts a deal and orders hundreds of the same seats, then the big discount pricing applies (for Grady, not us) !

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
By the thousand I should say, over a period of years.

Nice term contract for a canvas guy to be awarded.

bigk23surf

Reaction score
Anyone ever contact Wise and get replacement cushions? They told me they could not sell directly and to use i boats. I boats quoted me $55 for the back cushion and $568 for the bottom cushion when a new seat is only $300???

Tideslave

Reaction score
Just replaced mine...

I ordered them from Iboats.com less than $120 for both. I had to install two new snan screws on each, they changed the bottom flap that holds the bottom cusion in place. But the cusions fit purfect. If you havent removed the cusions yet make sure you lube the snaps before you try to unsnap them or you will pull the snap screw out of the plastic. Good Luck

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's about right and what a cushion guy would charge if not more, they have a price per cubic inch and just measure it out and multiply.

If you are happy with their seats and they are not too solft, then get them.

If you take care of the seats and vinyl treat them, they will last 10yrs or more before cracking (out of sun stored).