Scupper Hose Replacement

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Last season I noticed the hoses connecting my deck drains to the scuppers on the transom are dry rotted. I plan on replacing them come spring time prior to launch.....already thinking of next season!

Question is, should the scuppers be replaced at the same time? I see many posts about replacing thru-hull fittings and am assuming this would come under the same concern.....

Are these known to have problems like the rest of the plastic thru hull fittings? I am assuming they are original at this point.

Thanks in advance..........

seasick

Reaction score
If they are OK, it may not be worth the effort to replace. They might be difficult to get to. The flaps probably need to be replaced.
That said, depending on the length of tubing from the scupper to the deck fitting, you may beed to undo them just to get the hose onto the bib.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Are the old ones plastic ?

If so, if you are going to keep boat longer may want new ones, Attwood makes a nice stainless unit, not too expensive.

Workdog

Reaction score
Anybody have a lead for a stainless fitting for the deck fitting? I would almost bet, if you try to replace the hose for the scupper you are going to trash the plastic deck fitting.

Workdog

Reaction score
'84Offshore said:
This doesn't sound like it's going to be too easy.

After I get the deck fittings (I already have the transom scuppers) I will put them all in. Since the hose from deck fitting to scupper is so short, it seems to me that trying to bend the new hose to install on the hose barbs would be very difficult without breaking an old plastic fitting. My plan is to install the new deck fitting first, then the hose onto the deck fitting. Then, when I push the new scupper in from the outside of the transom, I will be sliding the scupper hose barb into the hose and screwing on the scupper nut at the same time.

Seahunter

Reaction score
Not sure about yours but on my 226 the deck drains are straight and they screwed an elbow into the drain to make the right angle bend.

I replaced both the hose and the scupper last fall. I had no problem removing or reinstalling the hose to the deck drain fitting.

I was going to replace the deck drain as well but found it to be just as solid as the day it was installed.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Pa228, make sure dimensions are the same on the Southcos as what you have existing.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Oh its just so much fun doing all the thru hulls. Just ask my hands they loved the fiberglass splinters. And on my older 89 grady I got to hand it to the MFG for making the access so easy.

UpGrady

Reaction score
I have an '86 Sailfish with twin I/O's and will be replacing the stern scupper hoses this spring. After reading this thread, I am now concerned that the transom overboard portion might be plastic which I did not fully look at or expect. Can anyone confirm that they are plastic so I can prepare accordingly for the worst case of trying to remove the hose from the plastic?

FYI- this is a freshwater boat, still OEM stuff from '86.

Seahunter

Reaction score
UpGrady said:
I have an '86 Sailfish with twin I/O's and will be replacing the stern scupper hoses this spring. After reading this thread, I am now concerned that the transom overboard portion might be plastic which I did not fully look at or expect. Can anyone confirm that they are plastic so I can prepare accordingly for the worst case of trying to remove the hose from the plastic?

FYI- this is a freshwater boat, still OEM stuff from '86.

They didn't change over to metal fittings until 1998 or so. I had no problems removing the old hose from the plastic fitting in the couse of swapping out my plastic ones for Stainless

uncljohn

Reaction score
I have an 88 Seafarer. The scuppers are easy to get to via the transom hatches, have to move batteries but otherwise open area. Not sure about your setup.

About 5 years ago after I first got the boat I replaced all thru-hull fittings. The original scuppers looked ok, but I put a chisel to each and gave a single whack and both shot off. So the looks can be deceiving. Wasn't too much of a hassel. Used 5200 to seal.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Sailfish

UpGrady, the transom drains on my '87 are plastic as well but they seem to be very heavy duty. I recently installed new scupper valves and the old ones refused to budge. Wound up installing the new ones on top of the old ones after clipping off the old rubber flaps. By the way you have a very nice looking Sailfish! 8)

UpGrady

Reaction score
Thanks guys, she's a beauty, but all of this old stuff needs to be whiddled away at for replacement and you'll go broke paying someone else, so I appreciate gleaning all of the knowledge I can from everyone that's been thru all of these things. I'm hoping for the best when I get after the tubes in the Spring!

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Work in progress!

Roger that UpGrady! These older Gradys are definitely works in progress. Just have to sort it all out in the order of importance and peck away. Bought mine as a fixer upper 'cause somebody did'nt love her anymore. A little lovin' and a lot of TLC brought her back to be a first class fish killer! 8)