'86 Sailfish Makeover...

Propwash

Reaction score
Looking for a few thoughts and ideas...We have a '86 Sailfish that is in need of repowering, rewiring and new fuel tanks. We are going with new Suzuki 175's on a notched transom. The boat is in great shape for the year model and the transom is fine, so we feel it is a worth reworking.
The plan is to replace the fuel tanks, rewiring the boat and add a 3rd battery before the motors are rigged. For those who have done a tank replacement and rewire, I'm looking for ideas and the best materials and components to do this job. We have replaced all thru hulls, and recored the floor panels so far, as well as a new helm pump and various other new cosmetic parts and a new aluminum trailer. Plan on doing these projects ourself, but if needed, will hire an electrical professional on the rewire. Will post pics as the project progresses. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A lot of labor cost in rewiring and added material markup.
Do it yourself, can get a few books on it and read up, no big deal.
Good pair of crimpers.
Get tin plated marine wiring off internet - fraction of store price.

Gas tanks are standard, I'd stay with 1/8 alum, remove tanks and take to a recomended tank fabricator, they will replicate. WEMA makes nice senders.

If the tanks are not eroded typically from galvanic action under the neoprene strips, no reason for new tank (s).

New motors = new boat (that's my line). Suzie is good motor = hope you have dealer nearby just in case.

Good luck.

richie rich

Reaction score
Propwash,
that's a lot to chew on for one thread.....all you propose to do has probably been done by guys on this site already so do a search for your particular project at hand or post questions with pictures if you can....I'd start with the tanks and fuel lines..(about $1200 for the 2 new tanks and hoses)..inspect your bilges, pumps, drains etc while they are out...then work your way up to the wiring (see Anchor Marine for short list of regs and how to's) and rest of the boat..have the transom checked before buying the new Zukes in case it needs work.....it will be a labor of love (or hate) depending on your patience.

good luck and have fun

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On the wire crimpers, I just purchased a Greenline crimper. What an awesome tool. I was tired of ruining connectors because the cheap az crimper would crush or cut through the insulation. A well spent $20 from Lowes.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What's better than good tools??

Too bad many are afraid of electrical work, I'd wire a whole house or boat first before I ever care to sweat one fitting again, but that's just me, I know guys just the opposite.

If the OP is determined to have a pro do the wiring, if you acquire the wiring yourslef, can save a bootle. Intenet sites sell marine wiring at incredible pricing, I know guys who bought it and say quality is 100 % equal to anything by well known one horse town brand. I believe they even crimp the heavy cable (battery type) lugs no extra labor charge.

I found a site for all kinds of computer cabes, HDMI, stereo, everything one can imagine in all different lengths, all fully certified. I recall getting a top of the line HDMI cable and seeing what Monster HDMI cables cost, rediculous gold mine Monster has.

W/o the internet, what's a DIYer to do these days??

I can't wait for my next wiring job !

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Will add to list for next trip to Lowes, will be checking it out, good tip.

List fills quick.

Propwash

Reaction score
Thanks for the information posted so far. Plan on pulling the tanks soon and seeing what lies beneath. We replaced all of the fuel lines when the floor was recored three years ago and the tanks appeared to be in decent shape. But, with the new motors, we figured it would be worth spending a little extra and have a fresh system in place. I'm curious to know if the tanks could be built to hold a few extra gallons if room permitted. As far as the wiring, I'm fairly confident we handle it ourselves, it just may take longer than we expect. Also, on the Zuks, we have several dealers around the Houston and southeast Texas area for support and have gotten a real good quote on a pair of '10 models. Will post with more as project progresses.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I wouldn't, the room now is minimal to maintain some ventilation abot tanks.

The Suzies will improve fuel efficiency by 30-40 % minimu, more on the troll, still need more capacity?

Make sure tank(s) is replicated with same internal full height stiffeners, top of tank serves as part of floor support system. Don't tell fabricated that fact though.

blackgrady

Reaction score
go for it. we are wrapping up the same project on a trophy pro. tanks were able to be saved, fitted new (to us) engines, rewired the entire boat. we saved a ton of money and the self satisfaction is overwhelming. dont forget, you have a WEALTH of information here, this site is the reason that our project is coming to a close. the sailfish was one of the better boats ever made. post some pictures!

cheers,
steve