1996 Yamaha SSII Fuel

den3221

Reaction score
Hi, have a 1996 SSII 150 on an 89 Overnighter. Have owned for about 4 years.

Two years ago when Ethanol first got intro'd into Fuel, ended up with 'gummed-up carbs'. After getting them soaked clean at marina, have been diligent about keeping tank topped and adding fuel additives.

I do typical winterizing and unwinterizing (plugs, fogging, etc.) This year, after second trip - seemed to be having similar problems as 2 years ago. Rough idling, can't reach WOT (topped at 4200 RPM in lieu of 5200 RPM WOT), etc. Figured it was carbs - after reading some forums, last weekend ran SeaFoam directly into primer bulb (with 1:1 mix fuel) -ran it a bit and let it soak for a week, and today it ran better (4900 RPM at WOT). Was going to run more Sea Foam directly thru but wanted some input.......trying to avoid the next step which is pulling apart the carbs. Any input?

Also, have been using Startron & Ring Free - and now and then add some Sea Foam to tank. Any opinions? Is this too much additives? If so, which is better Starton or Sea Foam?

richie rich

Reaction score
Den, I've never used Seafoam, but the startron additive isn't really a "cleaner" so to speak.....the enzyme is designed to help keep the ethanol and gas mixture homogeneous and stay "fresh"...it won't clean up any residue in the carbs, its more for prevention of gum buildup. The problem comes more from the tank itself. prior to ethanol, the MTBE gas left a bit of a residue in the tank that was no big deal, but when the ethanol came aboard, it acted as a solvent and started to clean your tank...that stuff which looks like little orange gels is the residue causing the problems to many boaters, myself included. After rebuilding carbs I ended up buying new ones. They ran great for one season and now are acting up again...I pulled the tanks for inspection and possible cleaning and noticed some severe pitting so they are being replaced and hopefully end this nightmare. The Grady dealer has told me too much of an additive is not good for the engines....I would heed that warning....you may need to pull the carbs off and try again. Soaking is OK, but the best way to clean them is in an ultrasonic tank. It will dislodge anything stuck in a passage that normal soaking will never get at...I would also check your fuel system and filters to see where the junk is coming from. Otherwise, it will come back.

den3221

Reaction score
Thanks for reply - appreciate the info. I will see how it runs next weekend. Last time I brought it to the mechanic it cost ~$300 to remove and clean the carbs. Next time will probably try and do myself - and will probably order rebuild kit.......if it's not one thing, its another huh?

Anyone else had similar issues or useful input?