Yamaha prices for filters and oil

dduflo

Reaction score
Just bought Yamaha oil filters for my 2 225 fourstrokes. $23 each. Ouch!!Anybody use an aftermarket filter. They also wanted $9 a quart for lower unit oil. I am well aware of the value of my motors and do not want to take any chance whatsoever by saving a couple of bucks but was wondering what others use instead of the Yamaha brand
Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
I paid less for 10micron filters but more for LU oil. Filters ran about 15 bucks if I remember. I don't remember the LU oil price but it was definitely more than $9.
I buy these supplies from a marine shop near my home ( OK, its 35 miles away) but they carry just about anything marine. They also run a once a year sale with 15% off everything. That's when i stock up on parts and supplies.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Andy sells the filters for $19. You only want yamaha, the others are crap.
Lower unit oil - he'll sell you a gallon, good for 3-4 changes, cheap to do as well. Get the pump with fitting that screws into the drain hole. Once I use up my yamalube will go to the Amsoil product, it's $7.40/qt.

Oil filters can go once a year, oil change every 50 hours or 6 mo. I ran Amsoil 4-stroke oil last time, 12mo OCI, had about 65 hours, was really dirty and looked like fuel in it. I think that's why the OCI is 6mo/50.

Good forum here on yamahas:
http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/forum2/

Andy at SIM:
http://www.simyamaha.com/default.asp

Amsoil outboard gear lube:
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/agm.aspx

Racor 10micron with water bowl, great price:
http://www.marinefilters.com/productdet ... er=WB32013

seasick

Reaction score
CJ, if all other filters ( other than Yami) are crap, why do you list a link to a Racor filter?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seasick said:
CJ, if all other filters ( other than Yami) are crap, why do you list a link to a Racor filter?

OP asked about oil filters.
See Andy's thread on THT with cut-away comparing sierra to oem.

I added the link for the fuel filter because it's a good one for a great price.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
matters what filter
cost on those filters are $9!

most yami 4 strokes are FORD motors!!

use anything but fram filters, because they use a tin head fit, not titanium like it used to be!!

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Just-In-Time: I hate to correct you but from what I understand (and have researched). Ford and Yamaha have worked together on the design of a number of engines (and it appears that Ford tapped Yamaha's engineering expertise rather than the other way around). Ford has not been shy about saying that its SHO Taurus had a Yamaha engine. Likewise the Volvo XC-90 V8 is the same block as a Yamaha 350. As you know it's not unusual for companies to share R&D expenses given how expensive it is to develop world class technologies. Yamaha doesn't do everything perfect but they do many things well. I think Honda is in the same league and depending on engine model, some Suzukis are pretty good (especially for the money).

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
funny

look at the cams in yami 4 strokes, says ford right on them, joint venture, same block, same oil threads

yes honda and suzi motors are used in the cars

the oil filters work

i always use OEM parts, but sometimes the customer wants to go cheaper

and cheaper on a boat is not always the best