Instrument/switch panel and switch labels

TBone

Reaction score
Hope everyone had a good holiday!

I am going to replace my instrument and switch panels. They are the original Duratrim. I saw a few threads replacing them with formica, but I could not find the "original" thread.

I intend on keeping a wood grain look, does any one have any suggestions on what to use and/or where to get the formica and what kind. I searched the "Formica" site to no avail.

Also does any one know where to get new switch labels to replace the original ones?

switchpanel2-copy-copy.jpg

I want to re-create the original look if possible.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!! :D

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Cabinet makers would probably be a good place to start ... :wink:

gw204

Reaction score
Check out http://www.rowmark.com. I believe they have both laser and rotary engravable stock in simulated woodgrain. Any trophy shop can do the engraving for you so you don't have to worry about finding switch labels.

That's what I did on my old 204.

IMG_0513.jpg

Amigo

Reaction score
I bought matching wood grain laminate at a local cabinet maker. I purchased a 4 foot 8 foot sheet for about $60.00. He told me to use an adhesive powder mixed with water. I found the adhesive he recommended at Ace Hardware. He said it would stand up to heat from direct sunlight, premixed would not.

I used the adhesive to bond the wood grain laminate to plywood. Two years later and my new bulkhead looks great.

jehines3

Reaction score
I've been thinking of doing the same project (it's way down the list of priorities). I've considered using an adhesive backed carbon fiber sheet (real or fake). Formica comes in a few thicknesses and colors are generally geared toward kitchen counters. I found a piece on ebay for formica scrap sheets it was $12.00 shipped to redo a sink base and top on my seaswirl last year. The white I had was too thick to do a curved piece, but worked great for the flat topm the color piece I ordered was thin and very plyable. keep us posed this is a project I plan to do. jh

TBone

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips!!!

I think i'm gonna contact Scott from vector led, his work looks pretty sharp and he is not far from me. As long as his $ is resonable i may go with him.

GW204, could not open your link, i will try to google it. do you know if they may have changed names?

Also gonna check out the cabinet makers, drove by two today but they were closed for the holidays.

Thanks again!!

HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! :D

TBone

Reaction score
Just went down to see Scott at http://www.vectorled.com/#
WoW! he showed me some of his work, the guy is good!

If anyone is thinking of replacing their panels, you need to get in touch with Scott.

These panels are gonna be sharp! I'll post pics when they are done.
He is doing them a really cheap price too, cheaper than if you could buy OEM, and it's 100 times better.

He is also going to laser ingrave the switch lettering and illuminate them when red LED backlighting. 8)

If you want something custom ingraved like your boat name, he will do that as well. Very Impressed :)

He has also invented some interesting indestructable LEDs for lighting, you gotta see'em.

Thanks 83Throphy for the link!

petros

Reaction score
Made mine out of lexan.Very easy to mess up but got it on the 3rd try.Now if i can figure out how to post a pic...
DSC00778.JPG

jrgrady

Reaction score
I'm making my own dash panel. Any suggestions on switch labels? I'm using starboard for the panel and rocker switches

TBone

Reaction score
I havent had much experience using the starboard, but seem to me you may have a hard time getting "stickers" to adhere to it. they do make the old pre-engraved labels at west marine, you can fasten them with small stainless screws.

Good Luck!

jrgrady

Reaction score
T-bone, I may be out of line, but what is the ballpark figure for the dash panel. I guess I'll just e-mail him

Amigo

Reaction score
Petros

Does lexan have a shiney, smooth surface. I need a piece 12" X 24" X 1/2" thick. Were did you source it?

jrgrady

Reaction score
didmy dash today, I dont think it came out that bad.....

032.jpg

020.jpg

031.jpg

TBone

Reaction score
Looks Real Good! 8)

Just give him a call, he will give you a great price im sure of it, email him that pic too to get a better estimate. Scott is a real gret guy too work with.

ScottC

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys!

I have a 79 180 sportsman myself :D

Yeah if any o fyou need instrumentation just let me know. Remember one thing, I price all of my work honestly so that everyday guys like us can afford real deal panels. all of my panels are designed by me and cut and engraved with my CNC laser. I have done a lot of work on classicmako.com and have a great reputation over there. I pride myself at making my customers remember thier experiance as a great one.

I started out in this industry making panels for mulit million dollar yachts, but the problem was trying to get paid form these millionares was almost impossible, so I sat down and designed a panel that is not just better then anythign on the market but also less money then an off the shelf panel. This allowed me to enter the every day guy industry and I could not be happier, regular guys are the best to deal with.

I have spent years tweaking my panels by using what I have learned from replacing others panels, so I gaurentee my panels for life period.

thanks again, I will be hangin out here now so if anyone has any questions just feel free to ask :D

jrgrady

Reaction score
tbone, thank you for insisting on calling scott from vectorled. I e-mailed him last night from work and I had a response in 5 minutes. It was 11:30 at night and he told me that he was up and for me to call him. What other boat business would do that. Super nice guy with VERY reasonable rates. Scott if your reading this, thank you and I will pass your business on to others in the business.

jehines3

Reaction score
scott do you have a black with translucent for back lighting. I've checked with a few people and no one has that stock in outdoor rated. jh