ethanol gas

seabum

Reaction score
What are the percautions when useing ethanol gas in my 1998 208 with a 175 yamaha. I have heard a lot of diffrent things any good advice.

striped bass

Reaction score
Change the fuel filters frequently and often. Adding 10 micron fuel filter is helpful but it may over restrict the gas flow to the engine and impact performance negatively. There are two filters already: one on board and another in the engine which may be adequate. Check with your Yamaha dealer first. Be sure to use gas stabilizer in the winter. That should cover you.

TunaT

Reaction score
ethanol

seabum.....the gas around OC does not contain ethanol yet. Delaware everything is ethanol. I still changed filters to 10 micron and changed every 30 hours +/-....I also carry spare filters and a filter wrench to change on the water if something crazy happens

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Run down your non ethanol fuel supply as far as possible before ethanol fuel fillup. I understand the two do not mix well. I would add a bottle of the gas conditioner I believe MDR makes to collects water from the regular gas.

The ethanol has a cleaning characteristic and may scrub the tank of debris and scale, so be sure the 10 micron racor or equal is in place prior and keep a spare. And the ethanol will pick up any water that normally seperates from regular gas and sits at the bottom of the tank. so monitor the water seperator, or just drain a half pint out periodically. I use an empty small poland spring bottle.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
To be honest I think it was more hype than actual problems with the ethanol. Use good 10 micron filters and have fun. It does eat at the fuel pumps so plan on changing them.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boats Rock said:
Which fuel pumps? The supply pumps or the engine pumps.

The supply pumps.

eppem

Reaction score
e fuel

be ready to change your primer bulbs also...the change to e10 fuel in ct a few back caused a lot of headaches...all the crap in the fuel will need to work its way thru the system...supplier, to gas dock to your boat...change filters, check for water, pull your sender and look for stuff in your fuel..be proactive and you should be ok.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've been running gas with ethanol for 2 seasons now, have not have issues with either of my boats. Carry a spare filter for sure. Switch to 10 micron filters. I have been changing my filters every 100 hours without any issues so far. I add Ring Free and Star Tron to my fuel, the Ring Free goes in with every fill up and my star tron goes in anytime I put in more then 30gal at a time or my fuel will be sitting for more then a week without use. If I am running offshore and using my full tank that day or the next I only put in the ring free. Not many boats with issues, the few in my marina that did wear earlier Opi's and some of the merc filter's had flow issues, but they have fixed that. Only real problem is with guys who do not condition the fuel, star tron or similar products will allow water in the tank to pass through the engine and not harm it, as well as prevent water from forming, which ethanol in fuel will do if it sits. It really is more hype then the actual problem is, but the fact is if we had done nothing, there would be problems. The onyl way to get most boaters to actually start using products to eliminate problems and more importantly change over their filters was to over hype it and scare people. If they had not done so, most boaters would say eh I'll run my current filters till it is time to change them, and they would ahve ran into issues.

striped bass

Reaction score
eppem and Gradyfish22:
My engine mechanic stated that using ring free and a gas stabilizer is adequate. He feels that the 10 micron will be over restrictive on the gas flow and starve the engine. I have a Yamaha 225 two stroke, 1998. I am not convinced, yet. Any thoughts?

Seahunter

Reaction score
striped bass said:
eppem and Gradyfish22:
My engine mechanic stated that using ring free and a gas stabilizer is adequate. He feels that the 10 micron will be over restrictive on the gas flow and starve the engine. I have a Yamaha 225 two stroke, 1998. I am not convinced, yet. Any thoughts?

I would ask your mechanic why then does Yamaha market and recommend a 10 um filter?
Yamaha Genuine Power Matched to Yamaha outboard engines

Strict manufacturing process controls assure absolute conformance to Yamaha's stringent requirements and standards

Meets or exceeds all US Coast Guard and American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) requirements for marine applications

True 10-micron filtration - highly recommended for all two-stroke and four-stroke EFI outboards and two stroke HPDI's (also excellent for carbureted engines)

High-performance 90 GPH flow rate and extra-large filtering surface

Sean O'Grady

Reaction score
This link should give you the lowdown on some the problems being experienced with ethanol, or try a google search for ethanol gas problems in boats.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have not experienced any issues with flow, I think most issues have been where two motors draw from one filter, I have a 10 micron filter going to each engine, and my engine is far from starved. I also had a 10 micron filter on my single engine 200HPDI and had no issues with that either, I get 100 hours per filter and have had no issues, and like I've said, I've had ethanol in my tank for two seasons now. I would atleast get a second opinion from another near by Yamaha mechanic, see what he thinks. Very rarely does a Yamaha tech go against what Yamaha implements, unless they have a strong reason and proof for that, or is just thick headed and has not had much experience with the issue yet. Best bet is get another opinion, but most on the forum here seem to have no issues so far.

scottg

Reaction score
striped bass said:
eppem and Gradyfish22:

The Yamaha 10 micron filter is a much larger canister than their old 30 micron and is rated at 90 GPH.

wilson

Reaction score
alcohol is very hydroscopic (water and alcohol are best friends) and will apbsorb water thru the vent everyday with expansion and contraction of the fuel in the tank. it will absorb enough water to the point of phase seperation, then the water/alcohol mixture will settle to the bottom, just like water and gas did before. there might be water soluble additives in fuel that will go with the mix. i work in a refinery and we still make gas the same way and just add 10% ethanol to the volume of a truck full. i wonder if you can't just add water to your tank and split off the water/ethanol mix to be left with straight gas? i know you would need a bottom tap but it could be done. alcohol is not reactive with fuel, it is not a OCTANE booster. the only way to boost octane is to crack more heptane into octane or add benzene (benzene is the poop at 114 octane rating)and the only oxygenating benefits are alcohol uses almost no oxygen to burn, leaving more O2 per cylinder volume for the octane burn. ethanol does not have the same btu as octane (less power) but it produces water vapor and carbon dioxide when burned, hence it's a GREEN fuel. that's it kids!!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
One can hire out pumping the tank dry, I think they remove the fuel level sender and stick a tube in there.

When I a DIYer drained both my tanks while still in the boat, via the existing suction lines, with the bow up, little was left in total, well less than a gallon. Need bow up to get so low, at least on my model.

mistymorn

Reaction score
we are just switching to ethanol here and I am concerned about mixing with the previous blend. My dealer said that there were problems in the beginning however they are using a different formulation and it should't create a problem. Here is my main concern....I left my tanks at 1/2 full two years ago (in the fall) and I got quite a bit of condensation in my tank...it took me a while to get it out as I do not use my boat a lot. Now with ethanol coming is it ok to add it to the current fuel :?: of course adding star tron. I usually keep my tanks full and add about 15 or 20 gals at a time. I would prefer doing this to avoid condensation and since I have to add the fuel using those damn new gas cans it is a pain.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Having your tanks full makes it harder to for condensation, if your boat sits for long periods of time between uses, I'd use star tron and put what they recommend in, maybe a hair more. I'd also consider adding some fuel stabilizer to the gas. I'd ask your Yamaha tech for the best advice, but I store my boat for the winter with tanks full and have not had issues after having it sit, I add stabilizer and star tron along with ring free to the tank. You will get some condensation, but star tron allows it to pass through safely, but that is a small amount of water, you should not have a ton in there.