Washdown/livewell pump

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looking for a dual purpose pump that will do both. Any brands, specs and install tips greatly appreciated. Also need input on water pickups.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Shurflo Baitmaster Pro (River Marine). Try to rinse the plumbing with fresh water after use ... :wink:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Pumps

If the boat is plumbed for two pumps use two pumps. Washdown needs pressure and livewell needs volume. I use a Rule 500/700 or 1100 GPH cartridge type livewell pump which also has a side connector for a washdown pump. For washdown I use a Shurflo Blaster pump. My boat has a clamshell type of pickup.

choogenboom

Reaction score
My 1994 228G had a single pump and a Y valve to select either livewell or raw water washdown. Worked fine. I don't have the boat anymore so can't tell you what pump was used.

You'll need a thru hull water pickup/strainer like this one. To do the job right it should have a seacock on it - this one does not but you can find ones that have a seacock.

http://www.starboardsupply.com/product_ ... id/3014745

GROSTH1000W.jpg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You can get away with one clamshell pickup thru hull if you use the Rule livewell pump side port for the washdown. See picture for details.

http://www.rule-industries.com/images/r ... 1-pc99.jpg

I have a 268 plumbed this way for my washdown/aux sailfish bait tank that sits on the swim platform. Both pumps work perfect!

I have tried to do it one pump in the past but it doesn't work that well. A washdown pump runs too much if used as a livewell pump. You will burn the pump motor up in a season.

PA228G

Reaction score
Just replaced mine this year with the Shurflow Baitmaster - pricey but works nice. Also added a strainer between the seacock and pump because the Y-valve had lots of crud in it. Replaced that too while I had the baitwell out.