265 X - Seakeeper Ride

NorthShore_MA

Reaction score
Hey Guys - potentially looking into moving from a center console over to a 265 express in the next year or so. I've read all of the posts (from various boating forums) about the handling characteristics of the 265 so I get the bow steer, trim angle, minimal tab, etc. Considering trim tab technology has come a long way what are your opinions on installing the seakeeper ride trim tab system to this model?

After reading about the roll sensitivity of this hull it sounds like it would be an awesome candidate for this product. My concerns would be the optimum running angle that i read about but im guessing that could be set into the SK system as a baseline....I'm running zipwakes on my center console which are awesome but definitely are not as quick to react as the SK Ride system.

Thoughts from the group??

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Honestly i believe that Seakeeper Ride on al less than 30ft boat is a waste of money for a arguable comfort for normal use.
If the boat is used in very choppy conditions where constant changes in trim is necessary then it's beneficial, same if pax are constantly walking around making her list and veer.
As you have already the Zipwake "Interceptor style" trim system you know how well it works.

Honestly i would first buy the boat, get used to it and modify weight distribution in such a way that she behaves as she should.
Not sure about the 265 Express but with a correct weight distribution almost all boats below 30/35ft will behave well.

If the 265 Express roll at 10 knots+ then something is wrong or the boat design is suboptimal.

SK Ride will not do anything against roll when drifting or at anchor, but a Gyro will.

Chris

NorthShore_MA

Reaction score
Good stuff! Thanks for the quick replies.

On a different note. - how have the transom and stringers held up on these 2000-2005 year models? I would plan on a tank replacement but wasn't sure on the stringer/transom integrity after 20+ years (I'm assuming they are both made of wood, correct?).

Thanks

TikiCharterFishing

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I owned a 305 Express and I found it to be somewhat bow heavy due to the cabin. Not a lot but enough to make it bow steer over wakes and waves. Having said that I would have never thought about spending stupid money on a sea-keeper.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I also dont know if the sea-keeper ride would mount correctly on a 265. Our 265s have those pockets for the trim tabs. I guess if you left the tabs in place and disconnected them it might work, but not sure the proper way to mount them would be with those pockets there.

NorthShore_MA

Reaction score
I agree on not spending the $$$ for an actual sea keeper. My comments/question was about the seakeeper ride trim tab system. Different animal.

Regarding the tab installation the tabs would get removed and the pockets would need to be closed in. Not a terribly difficult modification.

Still a year or 2 out but appreciate the opinions and discussion.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I wouldn't bother. There is a learning curve to drive a 265, but once you figure it out they ride great.