02 yamaha f225txra charging issue

southernstyle995

Reaction score
I think I have a charging issue on my right f225. I took the boat out yesterday after getting it back from the shop an I new the batteries weren't fully charged but several times i would look at my guage an it would say 12 volts an be blinking, even seen it drop all the way to 11.6. The volts would go up but they never made it up to where they should be. What could the problem be?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What do you mean by "The volts would go up but they never made it up to where they should be"? What did they go up to? Was this while the engine was running?

You should somewhere in the neighborhood 13.5-ish with the engine running. Even 14. The issue could be anything from loose/corroded connections to a failed charging wire to a problem with the charging system on the engine (stator/lighting coil/regulator/etc). It's a lot to go through on a forum, but a Service Manual will help you trouble shoot the issue if you're comfortable with that.

But start with getting the battery fully charged and load tested. Check connections/wire condition. Measure V right at the battery with engine off and running (at least 2,000 RPM). Also look for unconnected wires.

southernstyle995

Reaction score
The highest they ever got to was 12.6. Yes the engine was running. I guess what I was trying to say is that it's like its charging because the volts didnt just keep dropping, they did tick up some but no where near 13.5

seasick

Reaction score
As mentioned, you battery is not being charged. Check all the fuses on the motor first. There are several ( 4 maybe) usually in a plastic housing under the cowling . Then as also mentioned, check for loose/corroded wires. It is possible that your rectifier is shot but hopefully it is a blown/dirty fuse. Do you know if those motors have a separate charge wire?
FYI, 11.6 volts is about as dead (discharged) as a good battery can get. Depending on temperature, 11.6 volts on an unloaded battery is just about 100% discharged

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
dunno about the four strokes but my ox66 it ended up being the stator had one open winding. If you have a manual try checking that too before buying a rectifier.

seasick

Reaction score
dunno about the four strokes but my ox66 it ended up being the stator had one open winding. If you have a manual try checking that too before buying a rectifier.
Good advice. on testing the stator. You should test the rectifier/regulator as well. The stator is a $700 item, the rectifier is $400!

southernstyle995

Reaction score
As mentioned, you battery is not being charged. Check all the fuses on the motor first. There are several ( 4 maybe) usually in a plastic housing under the cowling . Then as also mentioned, check for loose/corroded wires. It is possible that your rectifier is shot but hopefully it is a blown/dirty fuse. Do you know if those motors have a separate charge wire?
FYI, 11.6 volts is about as dead (discharged) as a good battery can get. Depending on temperature, 11.6 volts on an unloaded battery is just about 100% discharged

I really think its corroded cables making poor connections im going to clean them tonight when I get home from work and see what that does. I briefly checked the fuses last night just by looking at them and they don't look burnt but I will still put a meter on them to see if they are good or not. ill let yall know what I find. no these motors do not have the separate charge wire, I bought some battery isolators/ combiners but havnt had a chance to install them yet.

seasick

Reaction score
Pull and reinsert the fuses as you check them. Corrosion on the lugs is possible.

southernstyle995

Reaction score
Pull and reinsert the fuses as you check them. Corrosion on the lugs is possible.
Checked fuses with a volt meter an they checked good also cleaned battery cables up. Got the charger hooked up an will run the motor tomorrow after work

seasick

Reaction score
I kind of doubt it is a battery cable issue. If there were connections issues, most likely you would have issues with cranking and starting the motor since there would be a much larger current flow. I also hope that you know that switching the battery switch past the OFF position while the motor is running can damage the charging system. You can switch past BOTH without risk.

southernstyle995

Reaction score
Yea I'm aware of switching the battery to off while motor is running an I have never done that.. well I'm running it now and at 1500 rpm the battery was voltage was reading 13.6 but at idle 600 rpm it's only putting out 12.4. Is that normal or should it be putting out more at idle

seasick

Reaction score
I can't say for sure. It sounds a tad low but the fact that you read 13.6 at 1500 revs is good. What are you reading the voltage with? The real question is not what the voltage is at idle but whether it is higher than the voltage with the motor not running. 12.4 volts is close to fully charged for lead acid batteries.
Also, the idle revs seem a bit low but as long as it doesn't spit , shudder or stall it shouldn't be an issue.
Try reading the voltage with all accessories off as an experiment. The low voltage at idle may be related to some accessories drawing current.

seasick

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that you can compare the voltage at different revs between the two motors. Assuming it is different, switch batteries and retest. If the low voltage changes motors, you don't have a charging issue I would think

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yamahas draw over 10 amps just running at idle, which is more than the alternator can put out at low rpm. So the engine is drawing on the battery until you rev up to 1600 rpm or so. That's why you are seeing the voltage drop at idle. If your batteries are weak, the voltage drop at idle will be greater than with a fresh fully charged battery. If the battery is really bad the voltage will drop below 11.6 or thereabout and the engine will stall at idle.

There is good advice in this thread. Check all connections and do a load test on the batteries before worrying about your charging system.

I just had a battery fail on me 60 miles out this weekend. The engine stalled soon after I dropped to idle to look for a spot. The BlueSea ACR got us back by combining the house battery with the starting battery. When I got home, the bad battery charged right up to 12.7 V. But it failed within a few seconds on the load tester.