04 Sailfish hot water heater question

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My hot water heater died after 19 years and I am considering replacing it. The question I have, has anyone replaced a heater on a 04 Sailfish and if so how the heck did you get the old one out. There are two mouning brackets, one front and one back securing the heater. The front bracket is no problem. The back bracket has zero access to the four screws anchoring it to the deck. The heater is flush up against a wall in the rear. I 'm guessing the heater was put in before the cabin was put on the hull? Any insight is appreciated!

Hoosier Cruiser

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My hot water heater died after 19 years and I am considering replacing it. The question I have, has anyone replaced a heater on a 04 Sailfish and if so how the heck did you get the old one out. There are two mouning brackets, one front and one back securing the heater. The front bracket is no problem. The back bracket has zero access to the four screws anchoring it to the deck. The heater is flush up against a wall in the rear. I 'm guessing the heater was put in before the cabin was put on the hull? Any insight is appreciated!
2004 Sailfish, I think I'm in the "same boat" with respect to the boat's water heater. While mine on a 2005 30 Marlin still appears to work, it gives even the most fresh water a strong rotten egg smell in a very short time. Does anyone know if that's "typical" and/or a sign that the heating elements are failing/failed, and if the entire hot water tank needs to be replaced, or if the heating elements can be replaced separately? Thanks in advance

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
2004 Sailfish, I think I'm in the "same boat" with respect to the boat's water heater. While mine on a 2005 30 Marlin still appears to work, it gives even the most fresh water a strong rotten egg smell in a very short time. Does anyone know if that's "typical" and/or a sign that the heating elements are failing/failed, and if the entire hot water tank needs to be replaced, or if the heating elements can be replaced separately? Thanks in advance
There are 4 working parts to the heater. The thermostat, high limiit switch, magnesium sacrificial anode and the heating element. First 2 are about 20 buck each second two $30 each. All are available on Defender Marine. Have you tries adding a bleach shock to the system? I usually do it at least once a year -add a couple of cups bleach to the water and run is through the whole system. Let it sit in the pipes and tanks for a few days and then flush it clean. Water smells like water again!

Reactions: loubeer