07 228 Seafarer Cockpit Gunwale Trim

fishtale

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just bought the Seafarer and the gunwale trim at the stern is pull off and looks gnarly. Has anyone gone down the road to replace the trim?

Attachments

• GW 2007 228 Seafarer Stern Gunwale Trim Pic.jpg
    GW 2007 228 Seafarer Stern Gunwale Trim Pic.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68

Greyduk

Reaction score
If you will take some spray Clorox Clean Up and spray the trim, let it sit for 15-30 minutes and rinse the trim will look like new. May take a second application, but no scrubbing. I just did the seats in my newly acquired GW 226 and they came out great. I also sprayed some on the trim like yours and it took out all the mold and mildew stain. You don't want to get it on any upholstery or canvas, but works great on what you are trying to clean.

226 seat 1.jpg226 seat 2.jpg226 seat 3.jpg

fishtale

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks, I'll give it a try. The trim appears to have been mounted with an adhesive to hold it place. I assume it's a silicone based glue. It's pulling away from the corners and sagging in spots. Doesn't seem to be adhered very well. If cleans up I'm thinking I should remove it and reapply it. Comments.

seasick

Reaction score
It's a common problem as the trim ages it shrinks a bit and pulls away.The original tape dries out too. The trim is attached with molding tape similar to 3M double sided tape for trim and moldings. Getting the old tape and adhesive off is a pain and takes time.A heat gun helps. The tape for that trim should be 7/8 inch wide I think, and can be found in auto parts stores , online and even in Wallmart
The old trim will clean up pretty nicely using a product like Soft Scrub with Bleach or other similar low abrasive cleaners ( maybe Barkeepers Friend, the mild version). You can wax it or apply a protectorent. Be careful not to get wax on the back. The back should be pretty clean as should the area on the boat where it attaches. Acetone will help getting the residue off. Give that a shot and see what you think. Of course you can buy new molding. Note that since the old trim has shrunk a bit, it may not reach as far as it did originally. That may or may not be an issue depending on where the ends fall.
Here is a link to the tape
https://www.amazon.com/3M-03616-Sco...eywords=3M+molding+tape&qid=1574867737&sr=8-4

Make sure you follow the instructions for the tape.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks Seasick, for that detailed reply. That tape you recommended is even called Molding Tape. I should have known. Well that will be less messy than glue. Looking forward to Spring when I can spruce up my New to me old boat. The wife hasn't seen it yet :| since I'm hoping to fix a bunch of cosmetic issues before she does. 3 badly chipped hatches and this trim falling off.

Is new trim crazy expensive?

seasick

Reaction score
I recall a few years back, a discussion about the trim but I can't seem to find it. Your Grady dealer would know for sure. I kind of remember it being several dollars a foot. I am pretty sure someone will have more info.

I see on second look that your molding is pretty moldy! It may clean up. Try a spray of mold cleaner to see if it will come clean. The Soft Scrub may not be strong enough for that amount of mold.

Fishtales

Reaction score
A magic eraser works great on that stuff. I like a 2 part glue and some finger clamps for those type of fixes.