18 sportsman owners

Barlow46

Reaction score
I recently bought an '01 sportsman 180. It came from factory with raw water washdown, fresh water sprinkler, trim tabs, bimini top. Did not come with extra battery or plumbed live well. I am planning on using either a Kodiak P14 round tank kit on the swim step or a self-contained system like "keep alive" under the flip seat. The under seat installation would give me about 23 gallons vs. 14 gallons on the step but would not allow me to exchange the water constantly. I could plumb the existing tank in front of the console but I did that on my earlier 208 adventure and didn't like the sloshing around factor. I would also like to install a second battery and second dedicated switch. Where does the factory install the second battery? The starting battery is now on the starboard side under the rear seat. The oil transfer tank is port under the rear seat. Also, has anyone installed a live bait system under the flip seat? Thanks for any input.

GOA

Reaction score
180 battery

Barlow---I have a 2000 Sportsman which had one battery. My Grady dealer added a second battery along side the original on the starboard side with a switch mounted in the under-seat compartment. Works great..very glad I added a second battery....GOA

capeguy

Reaction score
My second battery is next to the oil tank on the port side. Also, the Sportsman can use the cooler in front of the console as a live well. I would check into that option as well.

Barlow46

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. Capeguy, I have checked with others about using the well in front of the console but was told the well sloshed water quite a bit. I had the same problem in my 208 at times. I read somewhere where a sportsman owner put a Kodiak p14 on the swim platform but would like to find out how that works since it seems a bit of a reach across the back seat to get to the bait. I like the concept though. I think the 14 gallon would not be too much of a weight problem depending on which side I placed the second battery. Anyway, thanks again.