1987 228 New VHF & Stereo

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Since my boats newly installed fishfinder takes up the entire electronics box, I decided to mount the VHF Radio on the dash.

Found a Grady White radio box on Ebay, and upgraded to a ICOM M605 which filled up the box nicely.

Had Boat Outfitters cut me a piece of 1/2" Starboard and switched gauges over to the new panel at the helm cutting out new holes.

Added a Fusion RA-55 compact stereo and 2 JL Audio MX 770 speakers while I was at it.

Feels nice modernizing her as time and money permits :cool:20200213_153802.jpg20200213_163645.jpg20200213_145425.jpg20200213_151927.jpg20200213_164737.jpg

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
gotta do that lower switch panel next....

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
gotta do that lower switch panel next....
Already have a panel designed at New Wire Marine...How are we gonna pay for it?? ;)
Kidding aside Fishtales, I'm trying to play hopscotch with the design and think of what will look good in 5 years.
The "carbon fiber" look is so hot right now, but as we all know, it too will someday look dated.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm trying to play hopscotch with the design and think of what will look good in 5 years.
The "carbon fiber" look is so hot right now, but as we all know, it too will someday look dated.

Agreed. My 2001 228 came with the Carbon Fiber looks witch IMHO was hot 20 years ago. I think the sleek modern black or white acrylic or color match the boat should be timeless for a long time. I just updated 1 panel of my boat but will be doing the gauge panel (when I add my fuel management gauge for F225) and also my switch panel since I can't read the labels anymore anyway and the carbon fiber look is fading. But there is a new style of carbon that a user on this forum used that is more black than grey. That looks pretty modern and a large panel is $75.

I bought 3/8" black acrylic which is overkill. I should have bought 1/4". I have 3D file for CNC machines if any other 1998+ Seafarer owners want it. It has perfect 1/2" corner radiuses. (it's spaced to that I could have 2 - 7" displays someday)

Very nice Radio holder, never seen one like that. I like how it's so low profile.

228-helm.jpg

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agreed. My 2001 228 came with the Carbon Fiber looks witch IMHO was hot 20 years ago. I think the sleek modern black or white acrylic or color match the boat should be timeless for a long time. I just updated 1 panel of my boat but will be doing the gauge panel (when I add my fuel management gauge for F225) and also my switch panel since I can't read the labels anymore anyway and the carbon fiber look is fading. But there is a new style of carbon that a user on this forum used that is more black than grey. That looks pretty modern and a large panel is $75.

I bought 3/8" black acrylic which is overkill. I should have bought 1/4". I have 3D file for CNC machines if any other 1998+ Seafarer owners want it. It has perfect 1/2" corner radiuses. (it's spaced to that I could have 2 - 7" displays someday)

Very nice Radio holder, never seen one like that. I like how it's so low profile.

View attachment 11231
I think your 3/8" acrylic looks perfect, fills out recess nicely!

I just ordered my panel from New Wire in brushed silver. I was having problems with the template size, so I spoke with Eric this morning. Glad I did, he steered me away from matte white as the panel color, which was my first choice. After he showed me a few pics of it on installs, I agreed it wouldn't go with what I have because there are so many shades of white.